LabVIEW Interface for Arduino Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interface Labview Arduino IMU 9DoF I2C

Hi there,    

I am also using a multiple sensor IMU for an arduino controlled quadcopter, I would like to take the IMU data into LabVIEW 2009, and was wondering if you wouldn't mind posting your code, or if anyone wanted to assist I'm using an Arduino Uno Rev 3, the latest, with an Adafruit 10DoF LSM303, L3GD20, BMP180

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-10-dof-imu-breakout-lsm303-l3gd20-bmp180/introduction

I was going to adapt your code for the different address, but unfortunatley, all that is available to me is LabVIEW 2009, or 9.0.       Thanks in advance for any efforts.

-Steve

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 26
(2,696 Views)

Did you solved this task Steve?

I want to integrate those sensors into labview as well first with arduino as Interface and afterwards without.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 26
(2,696 Views)

How do you plan on doing it without the Arduino?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 26
(2,696 Views)

To be honest i don't know yet. I thought it was possible and started a little research. But since labview supports I2C communication it should work or am I mistaken?

Since u are a pro in this forum. Could u give me some advise, please? Do u know if it is was done so far? Is ist feasable? (for a newbie in programming?)

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 26
(2,696 Views)

There are at least two possibilties using a FPGA module or the usb 8451.

But is there a way to set up a communication with a "usual" DAQ like the USB 6211?

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 26
(2,696 Views)

LabVIEW can only do I2C if you have hardware that supports it.

But is there a way to set up a communication with a "usual" DAQ like the USB 6211?

Basic DAQ devices generally can't do I2C communication unless they are designed to do so (meaning it would be in the specifications like you see on the USB-8451).

There are at least two possibilties using a FPGA module or the usb 8451.

What do you mean when you say "a FPGA module"?  That is a very generic term.  An FPGA can certainly do it but do you need an FPGA?

What you decide to use on really depends on several factors regarding the project on which you are working.  Is money an issue?  Is reliability an concern?  What other things are you going to need have in your system?  Does it need to run with or without a connected computer?  How fast does your LabVIEW code need to run to be accurate/responsive enough?  You need to determine the requirement of your project and also the constrains with with you have to work.

You can certainly start with an Arduino if you really want to do that but converting code between a Arduino-based architecture to a NI hardware solution may or may not be a trivial task.  Also, I probably wouldn't recommend an FPGA for someone who refers to themselves as a "newbie in programming".

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 26
(2,696 Views)

Thanks for the comprehensive answer Nathan. As i just got started with LabVIEW, your explantion helps me to see more clearly.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 26
(2,696 Views)

Hello Nathan,

i'm going to try it with a myRIO. Could you give me some hints for the begining? So far I contacted one person who tried this before. As i read through your other postings, i've seen that you did work quite similar to this for an  other adafruitproduct. Can I use this a base for my work?

Bye the way i already have some experience in programming with c++ but for labview i think newbie fits.

Many thanks in advance for your support!

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 26
(2,696 Views)

none

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 26
(2,696 Views)

none

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 26
(2,696 Views)