From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimboH

wire jumping across case structure

Any idea that has received less than 9 kudos within 9 years after posting will be automatically declined.

The idea is to be able to replace wires running across a case structure with terminals that take the connection on the left side and connect it to the right side.  I would think the left side should allow a through wire for reading variables, but the right side should not, as then the jumping structure wouldn't really be needed.  This is something that would be specific then to that case or entry in the structure, and not the structure itself.

JumpAcross.png 

9 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Check out this similar Idea. Also, refer to my VI architectural question here about combining shift register wires into one "conduit cluster" as a response to the same problem you are trying to solve.
altenbach
Knight of NI

Also check out my idea that seems to solve a similar problem in a much cleaner way. 🙂

I think your idea makes too much clutter with all these "antennas", which need to be reproduced in every case. Are they forced to be vertically aligned?

JimboH

Thanks for the comments.  Here are some thoughts: 

Altenbach: The connections would be forced to be vertically aligned.  I think not doing this makes the code more difficult to interpret.  It would also be possible to have this be one of the options when selecting an output terminal, similar to use default if unwired, there could be an option, "use previous if unwired." Also, perhaps I am misunderstanding your suggestion, but it seems like it does not address my concern, which is using the previous value, not a user defined default value.

Regarding the "antennas", I agree they would need a redesign!  Also, if this was an option for the terminal itself, it might be able to be moved into the terminal, like the linked terminal option with the arrow, which I never use.  

In addition, this design could be used with loops or other structures, where the goal is simply to get previuos data from one side to the other for a calculation that will be done later on.

Mechelecengr: I like your wiring idea, but I feel like this is asking for something much simpler, although still quite useful.  I've also resorted to the conduit cluster in the past, but I really don't like using it.

altenbach
Knight of NI

> I am misunderstanding your suggestion, but it seems like it does not address my concern, which is using the previous value, not a user defined default value.

It uses whatever you define in the default case. For example you would wire the desired input tunnel to the output tunnel in the default case, all cases that don't have this output tunnel wired will get that particular value as output. If you wire that input tunnel from the shift register to the case structure as in your code above, you'll get the previous value.

In some cases you might want to override the output. This is easy in my suggestion, but I don't really see how to do that here unless you allow wiring the right antenna from the inside.

What you suggest is a special pair of tunnels. Thus they belong on the case boundary and not inside the case structure.

JimboH

I understand now.  I like it!  For some reason I was thinking that the default case would only run once.  Definitely a different way of doing things.

In this case wiring to the antenna would allow for an override, and the tunnel instance for that particular case would no longer be present, similar to a "use default in unwired case" that is now wired to, but with vertical locking for clarity. 

insane$object

I love it!

Reduces clutter; no issues about routing pass through wires under diagram; clear symbology, etc.

I would only recommend that it can be implemented by right clicking on a single or group of wires and selecting "jump across structure"; and it happens automatically.

Chris_in_Colorado
I like it!!
Manzolli
Active Participant

Great idea. I had many cases where I had to connect many wires in many cases. After some work, move lots of then go around a piece of code. Most of the cases the information is not used. Then it's a good idea have the "jump" option. Of course, trying to connect something to the right end of the registers will cause an syntax error (broken wire).

I suggest that the right terminals point to the right:

wire jumping across case structure - right arrows poiting to the right.png

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 9 kudos within 9 years after posting will be automatically declined.