From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
warren_scott

vianalyzer built application check ignores MScript

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Right now with VIAnalyzer, there is a built-in test for

General >> VI Properties >> Built Application Compatibility.

This test is supposed to check for issues related to execution as a built application (running in RunTime Engine)

However, it does NOT do any checks against MScripts for the MScript node functions that are not supported as part of the runtime engine, or that behave differently in runtime engine vs development environment. (generally identified by the yellow exclamation mark triangle in the dev environment)

This VI Analyzer test should be updated to include MScript node checking for compatibility against built application / runtime engine.

4 Comments
Darren
Proven Zealot

I'm not aware of any functionality in VI Scripting that lets me inspect the function calls inside a MathScript Node to this degree of detail. If anybody else is, let me know.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I agree... I cannot think of anything existing in G that we could use to write this. I think we'd have to build some new scripting functions specific to MathScript to accomplish this.

Note to Warren: The lack of existing functionality is NOT a reason for us to reject your idea. Darren and I are just calibrating how much effort it would take to accomplish. I realized after I typed the above that it sounded like we might be discarding this idea.

warren_scott
Active Participant

I agree that the level of inspection into MScript nodes through VIScripting could be improved (like a direct call to "is there a little yellow exclamation mark warning")

I was able to get 90% of the way there with a MScriptNode.FormulaExpression which gave me the raw text of the Node.  By searching for text that matched the function list in LV help, I could find out whether it has potential issues.  Granted it has problems if my formula expression has a string with the text "home" in it (since home is a runtime unspported function), but it was good enough for a VI Analyzer check that doesn't have to be 100% right.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.