LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Technico

(sub)VI-Icon: make "Find All Instances" also available when VI is locked (Read-only)

Now available in LabVIEW 2023 Q3

I always use "Find All Instances" for searching where a subvi / control is used.

When looking into code that is locked (read-only because of being under source control), this option is missing!!.

• Now I always have to press Ctrl-M to Unlock, then press change on the next dialog
    ctrl+m.PNG
    before the "Find All Instances" becomes active
  • Or open the VI Hierarchy (could take a while on a large project)
    and here the normal right-click "Find All Instances" is not blocked!!

I don't think it should be a big problem to enable the right-click menu on a locked vi...

8 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI
This also happens with subVIs when the calling VI is running and the ideaapplies for that too.

Not having the "Find All Instances" function on locked VIs is especially anoying if you are using Perforce, with the option "treat read-only VIs as locked" on (Perforce sets the read-only bit on every VI that's not checked out).
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

The UI for the find results would need some reworking... we'd need to mark items in the results list that are locked to indicate that Replace won't work. The Replace All button would need to prompt for unlocking diagrams and/or some shortcut for users to only do the replace on diagrams that are already unlocked, maybe a 3rd button ("Replace All Unlocked") or some other UI element. 

The above comments are not a pro or con of this idea... just noting something else that would have to be addressed as part of this idea.

Richard_Ha

Bump, this is very annoying!

nanocyte
Active Participant

The VI icon at the top right of the block diagram view should also maintain it's right-click-find-all functionality in edit mode. That was what I originally thought this idea was about.

Christina_R
Active Participant
Status changed to: In Development

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
Christina_R
Active Participant
Status changed to: In Beta

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
Christina_R
Active Participant