LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
EngrStudent

right-click fix coercion (red dot) via autoselected vi inserted upstream

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

This is coercion:

Capture.PNG

Best practices say it is bad, so how do I fix it?  Mindless hunt?  Try them all?  Sometimes I can't change the upstream data because it is "fresh out of the file-read".  Sometimes there is no in-VI upstream to modify outside of the read itself, and that can be challenging with mixed, not explicitly typed data.

suggestions:

• I should be able to right-click on the wire an have an option "insert explicit conversion" and have it pick the one that I need, the one it is doing inside the dot, and insert it into the wire just upstream of the conversion dot.
  • I can configure the outputs representation of many VI's.  Can I configure the input representation?  That would be explicit.

5 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

You might be interested in this community plugin: EasyConvert

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
EngrStudent
Active Participant

@crossrulz - that is a thing of beauty. 

Darren
Proven Zealot
AnthonyDeVries

It never bothered me.  In most cases, the coercion dot is really convenient, as it removes extra obvious conversions on the block diagram.

If you really need to remove the coercion dot for some reason, in almost all the cases I have come across, the solution is not to just add a conversion directly before, but to have that conversion done far ahead...  often in other VI's.   

Seems a feature I would never use...    And the 'insert' option on the wire is quick enough for those few times I do want to explicitely add a conversion directly before.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.