LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manu.NET

"View cluster as icon" should use the control icon ...

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Hello,

When you use the "View cluster as icon", the icon which replace the cluster is created automatically depending on the types included.

But when you create a control/type def, stric type def, you have the ability to define your own icon.

So it should be nice to replace the "automatically created icon" by the user defined one.

This icon could be, a little bit, visualy modified in order to differentiate VI's icon and cluster icons. (Something like an additionnal border ???) 

Manu.

Manu.net
4 Comments
Mr.Mike
NI Employee (retired)

the icon which replace the cluster is created automatically depending on the types included.

Could you elaborate on this...I'm not sure what you mean?  There's a small icon for a cluster (about 20x24) that is sometimes colored differently, but I don't know of any icon that gets created for you.

-- Mike
manu.NET
Active Participant

Hello Mr Mike,

When you create a custom control (*.ctl), you can edit an associate Icon ... like for a VI.

This icon could be used to view the cluster in an iconified way.

Manu.Control icon.PNG

Manu.net
Mr.Mike
NI Employee (retired)

I see what you're saying (mostly).  When you have just a control, it is used as an archetype to define the control when you drop it on your VI.  There's no link back to the control.  When you have a type-def'd control and you want to modify it, using Disconnnect from Type Def replaces the control with a copy based on the type def...it's no longer connected.  That is the nature of controls and that's how they're made to work.  If you want the icon, you should use something that retains a connection to the type, such as a type def / strict type def.

Since ther'es no connection, there's no way to show the icon.

(I still don't know what you mean when you say the icon is created by whatever controls are in the cluster...it looks the same to me no matter what's in it)

-- Mike
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.