From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X.

"Review and Update from Type Def" window should have scrollbars

Moved to CAR database: CAR 622301

Ever had a grayed out typedef constant on your diagram, even though you just selected "Apply Change" in the Typedef window? Checking out the context menu, you may see the "Review and Update from Type Def..." item shown below:

Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 11.23.48.png

Selecting it opens the identically named window:

Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 11.20.10.png

Lucky you if you don't have a clustosaurus to check out, as there is not way to scroll past the bottom of the area shown.

Now I am the one who recommended (tongue in cheek) to limit the size of VI panels so I should know better than having large clusters as typedef, but if you do, then there isn't much you can do, save buying a 4K display (or larger?).

A couple of scrollbar would go a long way...

And in fact, this is another illustration of why this should be seriously looked at.

7 Comments
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Moved to CAR database: CAR 622301

Darren
Proven Zealot

X., I can't reproduce this issue. With a giant cluster that goes off the bottom of the screen I get scrollbars, for both controls and constants, in the Review and Update from Type Def window. Any chance you could post a VI to the forums that reproduces the issue that I can attach to the CAR?

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

OK, will do. But first, please remind me how to get into the "Review and Update from Type Def..." in the simplest manner.

I can reproducibly get into this problem in my 1,000 VIs project by changing the Clustosaurus typedef, Apply Changes and then Revert: this breaks my main VI, which requires me to go and Review and Update. The window reproducibly opens up without scrollbar (LV 2016 64 bit v 16.0 running in a Windows 7 VM on a MBP).

If I create a simple project with just one VI and the typdef as a constant on the diagram (as is the case in my main project), these steps fail to require an update.

Darren
Proven Zealot

The easiest way to get the Review and Update from Type Def option is to delete an item from the typedef that has a non-default default value set in an instance of the typedef.

As far as the typedef triangle, it looks like the 'Previous Default Value' diagram never shows those, but the 'New Default Value' diagram does.

Also, I tried reproducing the issue with IMAQ references in my cluster and I still see scrollbars. So if you manage to reproduce it, that would be great.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Hmm. I tried what you described in my test project (I failed to realize that the item needed to have a non-default value) and indeed, when I open the Review and Update window, I have scrollbars in this one!

Not in my project however, where the window systematically opens without scrollbars (same clustosaurus typedef)! Weird.

Darren
Proven Zealot

Ok, if you can send us the project that exhibits the problem, that would be great. If not, I don't think we have much to go on to fix the CAR.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I understand, and that is not on top of my list anyway, but it sounds like there's a "gotcha" somewhere in that window diagram "show scrollbar" condition.