LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EngrStudent

popsicle patterns for terminals

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I would like to make sub-vi's that look like the following:

1d-subvi

Resistor arrays can come in multiple forms, and each form has a purpose.

4600X SERIES 8-SIP_tmb.JPG <---- Resistor Array SIPP

SOMC 16-SOIC_tmb.jpg <---- Resistor Array SOIC

There is a time and a place for each.

The VI "desktop" is at a premium for larger or more complex systems.  Being able to reduce the "ink" to what is absolutely necessary can have good value.  I wish that the icons could be made to be "text plus pins" without requiring artwork.  

2 Comments
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

LV is not about graphical design but it clearly lacks a lot of features we have come to take as granted from using such apps as Power Point, Illustrator or the like (think of the Z word, for instance).

I'll vote for more flexibility in designing VI connector blocks, if not specifically for you suggestion.

Currently, you can simulate what you are suggesting (to some extent) by editing the icon and setting most of it to transparent. You can even design the pins in the shape you suggest within the existing fixed size of a VI icon. Of course, that can only get you so far...

Different shapes are supported in LV: think extensible primitives (such as array or cluster bundling or unbundling) or VIs seen in the alternate vie to icon (view as icon gives you the standard icon view, but uncheck this and you get those large blocky things which are a cross between graphical and textual elements):

Screen Shot 2015-08-24 at 16.53.02.png

or 

Screen Shot 2015-08-24 at 16.53.34.png

? Try this with your own VIs...

So fundamentally, what you are suggesting appears in the realm of possible. Whether it will catch the attention of developers who have a backlog of thousands of rusting CARs and other internal priorities is dubious though.

It just was not in the original design, or if it ever was, has been put aside as "nicety" of no use to improve the environment.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.