LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ouadji

invoke node " Ctrl Val Get / Set "

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.

16 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

I understand where you are going with this, but I think it breaks the syntax and consistency with other property and invoke nodes.  Namely, the first block in the list is the name of the method or property, and the one you click on if you want to change it to something else.  Your proposal makes it look like Control Name is the method being invoked since it is the item on top.

ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast

ok ... and this ?

SR2.png

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

The name of the method isn't the name of the parameter. We only use the method name as an input terminal when the method name is able to be the name of the parameter. I won't guarantee that all of our nodes follow the pattern correctly, but this one does match our standard as it stands today. So of the three pictures you have in your original post, ouadji, I would mark the current behavior as "Best".

So... that's why the node is the way it is today. What exactly are you trying to fix by changing it? Maybe there's some other fix we can apply.

ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast

@AristosQueue :

Maybe there's some other fix we can apply

yes, maybe this  one     Smiley Wink

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I meant another fix for whatever problem that you're having with these two nodes that made you suggest this idea.

ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast

What exactly are you trying to fix by changing it?

The logic of the node's drawing

A more logical representation of the node.

(sorry for my very bad english)

ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast

I meant another fix for whatever problem that you're having with these two nodes that made you suggest this idea.

I had understood, I was just kidding you.  Smiley Wink

Dennis_Knutson
Knight of NI

I don't understand your suggestion. Your scheme would require removing the name of each method in order to be consistent. What would you have when a method had no parameters? What would be the point of changing the name of the parameter "Value" with "CtrlVal.Set"? Is 'Value" so confusing?

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

We could change the Get function to have a Value terminal instead of using the method name as the terminal. Then they would match. Is the parallelism what you're after?

ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast

"Value" is not consistent with "CtrlVal.Set"

more consistent : "CtrlVal.Set" and "CtrlVal.Get" ... or ... Value Set , Value Get.

why the set method has a method name, and not the Get method ?