NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
New Idea

Lock decorations so they can't be selected

by Active Participant NIquist on ‎11-22-2011 10:29 AM

I'm often frustrated when after setting up nice background decorations I can no longer drag a selection box around items that are on top of it.  I like to keep the decoration back there and sized correctly because it defines a functional area on my front panel where a set of related controls should fit (plus I like to work on a nice looking GUI).  It would be great if there were an option to lock a decoration in place so it would not interfere with the subsequent selection of anything inside it.  It is especially frustrating when trying to shift-click a large selection of small items since one missed click will de-select everything I was trying to select in favor of the background decoration forcing me to start all over again.  I realize this is somewhat of a low priority request but if the implementation is simple it would be a very convenient feature.

Already implemented in LabVIEW

Editing the String Label of Event structures

by Member stbe on ‎11-17-2010 11:10 PM

Inspired by, it would be nice if we could edit the label of each event case the same way as for in the case structures.

That would allow us to add events by typing - and hey, even auto-completion would be possible :smileywink:

Further, adding/duplicating event cases could be done like in case structures [ Ctrl+(Shift+)Enter ] ...

I propose that the resize menu is changed so that the resize is automatically executed if you double-click on a control in the list of selected items. If you only click the control once, the dimensions should just be filled into the size inputs so that they can be edited prior to clicking OK.

If you want to resize multiple controls/indicators in one operation you have the resize menu. A typical use case for this is to set all the controls to match the size of one of the selected controls. However, there is no shortcut to set the target size to match the size of a given control(!). You have to check the list of controls, find the dimensions of the control you want to match the others with, and then write in the width and height of that control into the inputs, and then click OK.

Current situation:

The probe-window shows a list of all current probes on its left side (including value string and timestamp) and the detailed value of the selected probe on its right side. The selection of “the probe of interest” must be done manually which is not very comfortable.

Suggestion (numbers refers to the image below):

1. Add an indicator which highlights the latest, updated probe.
Additionally I suggest to show a number (maybe instead of the timestamp) whereby “1” stands for the newest probe value.

2. Add a "lock" button to the toolbar of the probe window. If "lock" is set, the probe selection automatically changes to the latest updated probe.

3. Add a checkbox in front of each probe entry. If "lock" is set, the checkboxes become enabled and checked by default. Unchecking one means this probe will ignored for auto-selection function.

new probe window

separate Vision and Motion palette

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎11-17-2010 02:22 AM

How comes these 2 palettes avec merged in one called "Vision and Motion"?

I'd rather have a Vision palette and a Motion palette.

Plus, if you only install Vision (and not Motion) then the palette name is "Vision and Motion" but in fact it only contains vision functions, so the palette name is inadequate.

See here :

The LabVIEW Unflatten From XML function has an error input and error output.  However, the Flatten to XML function does not.  For the sake of consistency and dataflow, it would be nice if the Flatten to XML function also had an error input and error output.

Adding output for obtain queue

by Active Participant jyang72211 on ‎05-12-2011 11:40 AM

Hi all,

To create a queue, the user would need to use obtain queue, which requires a element data type.  Usually, enqueue follows right after obtain queue, and it needs the same data.  A bad looking wire bend is created, since there is no data output on obtain queue. 

If obtain queue has a feed through output terminal for data data type, the block diagram look nicer.

In installer creation, provision should be available for executing any third party installer/executable before starting the LabVIEW application installation.

After installing any application developed in LabVIEW, we can see that in Start > Program > <application>, is there any way we can get uninstall option in same menu (Start > Program > <Application uninstall>. (so it remove all the components were installer with the application)

Visualize the absolute cordinates when moving a control

by Member Joju ‎11-05-2010 10:33 AM - edited ‎11-05-2010 12:48 PM

when you try to move some control, in thefront panel, in development time, the tip strip represent's a relative displacement, but for positioning this control is very interesting to have the absolute position, and in the properties of this control you don't have posibility to place the control on a determinate position.
would be very interesting to have these utilities to build a front panel with more accuracy.
- show the position when you move a control in the front panel
- in the propierties of the control, having the possibility to input the exact coordinates of the control.

Regarding VISION IMAQ Overlay functions:

Currently it is only possible to select the color of points, lines or figures. It would be fine if it would be possible to select:

- line width

- line/figure pattern

- transparency

IMAQ Overlay Line VI

Optional maximum block diagram size

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎05-12-2010 09:49 AM

Why does the block diagram span 1000's of pixels.  I would like to allow a block diagram size maximum to be specified on a vi basis.  This way I could set my vi to limit the block diagram from 0,0 to 1200,800 for example.  This not only forces good style but also prevents the inadvertent placing of functions off the screen (have you ever dropped a functional global call by mistake off the field of view by mistake and tried to debug the vi?).  This feature would be optional so use it if you like (or impose it on your new programmers).  If set on an existing vi, the code would be moved into the field of view with a warning message if position coerrsion is needed.

I would like to be able to specify an autrorun.inf, an autorun.ico file and a copyright file in the Build properties for the LabView (or CVI) installer properties to be copied to the ..\Volume directory for the built installer. I can then simply build a DVD from the installer's ..\Volume directory and the DVD will autorun on insertion (if autorun is enabled). Of course, I can manually add these files to the DVD build, which I do, but if it is simple fix to the installer, well, Ithe next person who takes over my projects is less likely to make a mistake.

Indexing Arrays by Content

by Member David_Ferster on ‎04-24-2011 07:52 PM

I often want to pull elements out of an array based on their content. In a simple example, I'd like an array B that contains all, the elements of A that are greater than 0.5. A few previous posts have suggested a conditional append function on the output of a loop. Here's another possibility. Change IndexArray so that one can wire an array of Booleans to the Index input. The output would be just those elements of the input array for which the Boolean array element is true.

Another way to handle this would be to have a primitive that returns an integer array containing the indices of the true elements in a boolean array. Then allow arrays of indices to be wired to the Index input of IndexArray.

By the way, these are not really orignal ideas. They come from Matlab. Specifically, the A(A>0.5)  syntax and find(A>0.5).

Make it posible to find error codes in help.

by Member Yakov on ‎07-09-2014 12:39 PM

Just that: Make it posible to find error codes in help.

I can never find general list of error codes wigh their descriptions in the Labview Help.

Global Variable: Write Once Read Many as default

by Member elkb on ‎01-05-2013 06:47 AM

Global Variables are to be used with caution (see NI white paper ). One scenario however Write Once Read Many - is a useful and a safe one). 

If a global variables VI is a part of a project, LabVIEW has means to know whether there may be multiple write nodes for a global in the project (including reentrant VIs). 

I suggest that globals in a project be Write Once by default. In this case every attempt to add an additional write node would result in an error. "Write Many" behavior would be an option to be explicitly chosen by the programmer.

Not only race conditions would be excluded in this way, but the compiler can be optimized to avoid unnecessary copying of data.

Admittedly the same goal can be achieved with Functional Globals. However many LabVIEW users are not programmers and may never heard of that concept.

Similarly, adding more than one write node for a local variable should produce a warning

Although the information is located deep within the LabVIEW 2011 documentation, the information about custom data types is difficult to find for users. One of the most difficult data types to understand is the waveform data type. When a waveform generation VI, such as the Sine Waveform VI is placed on the block diagram, the context help describes the output terminal as "signal out". Upon going into detailed help, the signal out is described as the "generated waveform". It would be helpful if there was a link on the waveform keyword that brings users to a description of the data type. Also, the description of the data type is located deep within the "Types of Graphs and Charts" documents, which makes it difficult for users to search in the help and online for the data type. 

See the image below for a screenshot of the vague help document. Some users have also noted that the constant for the waveform data type is not clear either. To understand the components of the waveform, users must use the "Get Waveform Components." 

Default Representation for Enum should be U8

by Member hfettig on ‎06-09-2009 05:13 PM
In the spirit of using as little memory as possible I think the default representation for Enums should be U8. Currently when you create a new Enum its representation is set to U16. Since I assume most people rarely have Enums with more than 256 items I would really appreciate it if the default representation were U8 so I don't have to always change it from U16 to U8.

Round Color Box - Modern

by Active Participant Manzolli Active Participant on ‎10-31-2011 01:46 PM

With the addition of the Silver controls, NI added a "Round Color Box (Silver)". Before this addition, when I needed a multi color LED, I used the simplest solution I know: changing the LED's property "Colors" in order to have multi colors. This is Slow and awkward to do. Sometimes, when a square LED fits, I used the "Color Box" to show this output. Now, with the new "Round Color Box (Silver)" I can do it for round LEDs too, but only in Silver way.

I think that all three sets (Classic, Modern and Silver) can have both square and round LEDs. Additionally, Classic, as least, should have two versions, as it happens with the current "Color Box", with and without frame. It's also not nice go to Classic to get an unframed version, to Silver to get a round one, etc. I think all three sets can have round, square, framed and plain Color Boxes.

Currently there is no way to have a VI run automatically when a LabView Project is opened other than using a separate VI using VI server calls.   I would like to see this added to the Project properties menu similar to the option that is given within a VI's properties-execution to "Run when opened".  It would also be nice to have it target the correct device within the project.

I don't know if there's already a trick like this or any workarround but most of the time I use the color selection tool, I want the same color for both FB and BG, quite often for transparent color.

About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count