Home > Community > Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
New Idea
When you are viewing a block diagram of a VI you can ctrl+double click a subVI to open that subVI's block diagram directly (instead of having to open its front panel and then switch to the block diagram). It would be nice to be able to do that from the project window as well. Ctrl+double clicking or ctrl+enter on a VI in a project window should open the VI and immediately switch to the block diagram.
Everybody else is doing it ( Microsoft, Adobe, ... ).<br>You pay $100 a month and you get access to ALL NI software products, period. You also get access to all the older versions ( clients rarely use the latest version ). Remember the KISS principle ( Keep It Simple and Straightforward ). I keep getting resistance on this idea fron NI folks. Please forward this idea to the NI CEO for consideration. <br>Thank you

I like using Gauges/Meters/Thermometers as indicators because you can get a feel for values with a quick glance. 

However, after a quick glance you may want a more accurate value.  The Gauges/Meters/Thermometers have a "digital display" that will display the value but you cannot change the number format. 

It kind of distracting when all the numbers on the FP are displayed in SI notation except for the gauge's digital displays which are in scientific notation, or a thermometer's digital display is showing 6 digits, especially when the value is varies about a whole number and the number of digits displayed varies as trailing digits are hidden.

My workaround is to add a numeric display for each gauge but it seems redundant when the solution is almost right there.

Gauge.png

Functionality already exist in LabVIEW

simulation in DAQmx (simulated device)

by Member stijnhel on ‎10-17-2012 07:50 AM

The possibility to use simulated devices, so that you can design software without having the hardware available is very nice.  Sometimes, specific signal profiles are needed.  It can be tested using additional software, but you really have to change the software (add test-software in the code).  In some cases this is not wanted.

Therefore adding in DAQmx a possibility to force specific output can be very helpful.  Different possibilities exist (TDMS-files, LlabVIEW(/compiled LabVIEW)-code, ...).  Different people will want different possibilities, but some extra possibilities are useful.

String/Number Conversion

by Trusted Enthusiast Trusted Enthusiast on ‎03-19-2012 04:24 PM

original5.png

Auto update globals variables name

by Active Participant Pnt on ‎10-03-2009 12:49 PM

When you change a global's variable name, all instances are not been updated, causing a broken arrow.

It must be done manually and it costs a lot of time.

There is an option "Find ALL instances" so i guess it is very easy to update all names automatically

Kind of related to my frustration I mentioned in this idea, I would like to have a one time auto grow option for structures.  If  the structure is not set to auto grow, allow the user to select to Auto Grow once.

You can accomplish this now by turning on Auto Grow, then go back and turn it back off.

If my other idea was accepted, then this would also be a nice add-on that would override the global setting and do the one-time auto grow.

Add a quick way to start a new LV project in the folder where you want to save it.

window new menu

The Registry Settings within the Build Spec from an installer is using fixed values only.

It would be nice to have somthing like varaibles that contain the information that are entered on the page
"Productinformation" in the settings window from the installer.

Productname -> %productname

Productversion -> %productversion

User selected Path for installation -> %installdir

This would allow something like this:

22863iA75EB0F1A77A1685

The values {%productversion} etc. will be replaced during the setup with the real values. The %installdir contain

the selected installation dir from the user.

Don't Allow Hidden Wires

by Member Amir_Y on ‎08-30-2011 01:54 AM

How many of you saw something like that:

hidden wires.png

I don't see any advantage for this to be allowed.

Wires can be treated as all other objects, not allowing resizing the structure when Auto Grow is ON.

This will force the user to cleanup the wire before resizing the structure.

(If I was brave enough I would suggest the Auto Grow OFF option should be canceled altogether).

Amir.

Currently if the scale of a plot is changed and the space required to render the scale changes, the plot area in the graph or chart is alterted to accomidate the bounds of the control. This can be problematic if using multiple charts/graphs and you want them to have the same size plot area with aligned axes. Currently you need to do some calculations to resize and reposition the controls whenever the scale changes.

plot area.png

How about an alternative layout option to keep plot areas constant, and instead grow the scales into the padding area of the control, even clipping them if necessary? I imagine this option could easily be set via the control's context menu and/or properties dialog.

3 states.PNG

There are lot of posts in the forum regarding the design of a boolean control with 3 states "On", "Off", "Default". This is very useful when during some tests the LED should initially be in one color say "black", if test passes, it should display "green" color and if test fails, it should display "red" color. If this comes as a special LED in the front panel, this will prevent extra coding.

How about adding a feature to a few of the LV primitives such that an error cluster can be optionally added to catch some common issues that right now require special checking:  For example, Divide by zero, returning an error as well as Nan, or Index Array where the index < 0 or > size.  THe error cluster would allow easier handling of these cases WHEN DESIRED, by wiring directly to a case structure, etc.

(This idea evolved form a discussion at the CLA Summit during a talk by Nate Meohring.)

DaveT

I'm not sure how LV populates the tree under Options -> Menu Shortcuts, but I've been longing now for to long te be able to have some SCC actions (most important checkin/checkout) under a shortcut key. Same for several add-ons in that settle under the Tools menu, a couple of them I would like to have accessable via a shortcut key.

So the idea is simply to make everything in the menu available for configuring a shortcut for it.

Recommend "improvement" in Key Up Events

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎03-07-2010 12:08 AM

I'm using Key Down? and Key Up events to turn the keyboard into a series of switches for a behavioral experiment.  For example, I want the user to push down Caps Lock with the left hand, Return with the right, then use the appropriate hand to do a specified task.  By monitoring Key Down and Key Up events, I can capture the timing of the user's "button sequences" (to the accuracy of Window's clock).

Key Down? provides three indicators of what key is pressed -- Char, which is an I16 representation of the Ascii character (and hence can be "converted" easily into a string one could test, e.g. is this "A"?), VKey, an enum saying if the key is an Ascii character or a "special" key (such as Caps or Return), and ScanCode, which is another I16 that corresponds (somehow) to each key on the keyboard.  There are also boolean indicators that can tell you if Ctrl, Shift, or Alt are being simultaneously pressed.  Of these, the least "transparent" is ScanCode, as there is no obvious way (other than placing a comment on your code) to know that 58 corresponds to CapsLock.

Unfortunately, Key Up only provides ScanCode!  So while I can write "nice" code that can more-or-less self-document that I'm testing for Caps Lock or Return (simply wire VKey to a Case statement, which will allow me to have a case labelled "Caps", pretty obvious, no?), I don't have such functionality with the Key Up event.

Suggestion -- add Char and VKey inputs to the Key Up event!  This will make it "symmetrical" with respect to Key Down?, and will enable producing Key Up code that doesn't need to rely on "magic numbers" (Scan Codes) for specific keys.

Bob Schor

Something that I think got lost in the newer versions:

You copied a code snipped , switch to your block diagram and paste the code. 

Currently (8.6.1) the code will show up highlighted in the center of the screen and you have to move it where you think it belongs.

I want to (right) click on a position in a diagram, hit Ctrl-V  and the code show up at the click position.

I think it was there in the past, however I didn't found something in the options to turn that back on.

Bug was fixed in LabVIEW 2009

Wait(ms) - abort

by Trusted Enthusiast Trusted Enthusiast on ‎03-10-2012 05:15 PM

Wait(ms)  /  abort   :  boolean / default (F)

original5.png

---------------------------------------------------------

view only remote debug connection

by Active Participant shb on ‎05-28-2013 01:36 AM

When establishing a remote debug connection to an application (Menu Operate->Debug Application or Shared Library...) the control of the remote application is transfered to the debugging computer as well. There is no possibility to control the application from the computer running it. But this is what I often want to do.

Please add a possibility to view only from the debugging computer. (To view the block diagram would be suffucent for me.) I would like if this could be selected while connected (like when connected to a remote panel). When the start mode could be selected in the connection dialog this would be a welcome addition.

When replacing a bundle by name function with an Unbundle by name function or vice versa, the element names should be maintained.  Currently when you replace this function with the other, LabVIEW does not maintain the same element names. 

Class ID for a control / indicator is displayed as I32 Numeric Type (up to LV 2011 release). Inputting "Class ID" property node to a Case Structure, doesn't provide readability. For better readability, we need to use "Class Name" property node (which is a String) and user needs to take care of entering case selector String values

It would be more readable if "Class ID" property node is displayed as "Ring" type (which provides readability and lesser user dependency on entering Case selector values)

About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors