LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Community Browser
About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Top Kudoed Authors
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have an idea for LabVIEW NXG?
Use the in-product feedback feature in LabVIEW NXG to tell us what we’re doing well and what we can improve. NI R&D monitors feedback submissions and evaluates them for upcoming LabVIEW NXG releases. Tell us what you think!
Post an idea

When I have large projects with lots of classes, Labview's edit time environment slows down to a painful crawl.  Almost every meaningful action triggers a recompile that gives me a busy cursor for 3-10 seconds.  My productivity falls off a cliff and I avoid making important changes in favor of the cheap hack.  (The dev environment has high viscosity.)

I often wish there were a way to turn off the compiler while I make a set of changes.  I'm not interested in the errors at every single intermediate state of the code while I'm making the changes.  I *know* the code will be broken after I delete some nodes or wires.  Let me turn the compiler off, make my changes, and then turn it back on for error checking.

I'm sure there are lots of different solutions to address this problem.  My preference would be to make compiling faster so it is unnoticable.  I doubt NI will ship me a new computer with the next release.  My second choice would be to stop loading all of the class' member vis when any single vi is loaded.  I vaguely remember a discussion about that some time ago and it wasn't practical to do that.  That leaves me my third choice--more control over what automatically compiles when I make edits.

It could be something as simple as Ctrl-Shift clicking the run arrow to toggle auto-compiling at the vi level.  Or it could be a right click option in the project window that controls auto-compiling for an entire library or virtual folder.  Either would be okay; both would be nice.  

(For that matter, it would probably be a lot cheaper if NI just shipped me a new computer...)

Add a printer selection dialog (option) for the print VI functionality (yes I know there are ActiveX alternatives etc. but this should definitely be included "out of the box").

Hi all,

When creating accessors, I find that 99% of the time my read and write accessors have the exact same documentation.  I'm literally copying and pasting into the "VI Description" for each pair of accessor VIs.

For example:

Let's say I have a data member called timeout_ms.

Whether it's the read accessor or the write accessor, the documentation is, "VISA timeout in milliseconds for serial transactions."  Entering it twice, while routine, has become mildly annoying.

Why not make the accessor documentation a property of the "Property Definition Folder" that houses each pair of accessors?  That way, most of the time the developer would only have to enter documentation once.

How might this work?

1. The developer would open the context menu for the accessor's property definition folder.
  2. From the context menu, the developer would select "description", "documentation", or some such item.
  3. The developer would then enter a description of the data member in the resulting window.
  4. After clicking OK, the dialog would then apply that documentation to the VI description for both accessors.

The dialog might look something like this:

propertyFolderDescriptionDialog.png

I'm a real stickler for VI documentation, and as much of a hassle as it can be, I document all of my accessors.  Any time we can reduce the number of mundane steps to accomplish basic things, I'm very grateful.

Thanks as always,

Jim

The Attached code calculates the square root free Cholesky factorization (LDL'), it is very useful to decompose matrices and in my specific case, to make observability analysis within electrical distribution networks. I'm publishing it because LV counts with other kind of decompositions like the LU decomposition, very useful but for my case, the values delivered by LDL' are more accurate and easier to calculate.

Best regards

I miss the ability to use the results shown in "Search Results" in scripting code. Programatically selecting some results is desirable.

This would allow to do some custom filtering, searching in results, do advanced replacement, ... with some custom tools.

Greetings,

shb

I would like to see an Option for Child Window. This option will useful to keep open FP in Parent FP even when it is moved around, minimized, ect...

I understand LabVIEW dose not support MDI, but simple Child Window option will be helpful. Currently, I am using Windows API to do this, but native supported function/ option can be big help (won’t have to use VI server, Dynamic path builder to check application type vi, exe, llb, and others useful things that needs be done..).

I would like to pop-up and put a probe on the iteration terminal of loops to look at the loop count without having to wire the terminal to an indicator first.

If a control becomes disabled or disabled an creyed out, there is no possibility to copy text out of the control. It would be nice to to add a 4rd value "read only", so that the control has the behaviour of an indicator. So the User can copy parts of a String or number ot of the element.

IMAG002.jpg

As far as I can locate, this hasn't been posted on Idea Exchange yet.

What I'd like to be able to do is change the default colors and visibility of various components of block diagram items. For example, I might want to color the background and sub label of my timed looped structures so that they improve the appearance of my code, like NI has done in the Bioreactor example code with a free label and custom colors.

Block diagrams can be beautiful!

Rather than setting these colors/font sizes/label visibilities for each structure I place, I'd like to be able to set them only once. Currently, the sub labels' default visibility CAN be set in tools»options, but not the coloring.

Background

The LabVIEW project window has two tabs: (1) Items (2) Files. The "Files" view is very useful to me as a quick check to make sure all subVIs are loaded from expected locations.

I am not aware of an equivalent view into the current Vi hierarchy if we don't use a LabVIEW Project. Maybe I haven't found it yet. Smiley Wink

Idea

My Idea is to have an optional window that show the current VI hierarchy in a layout very similar to the "Files" view of the LabVIEW project, even if we currently don't use a project.

(Image for illustration stolen from this article)

It is sometimes verry frustrating to replace elements on the blockdiagram or the frontpanel. I have to navigate through many menues. It would be better to have the recenltly used elements in a list, so that i can use them verry fast.

So here my suggetion: extend the context menue on replace and insert by the point "last used ..."

new.jpg new on panel.jpg

new insert.jpg

In the Description and Tip Dialog the Tip can only contain one line. On the properties page Documentation the Tip strip can me multiple lines long.

This is not consistent. Could you please allow to enter multiple lines in the Description and Tip Dialog?

When you are already at it you could also unify the labeling. In the "Descripton and Tip" Dialog, leave away the text "String" and use Tip strip instad of only Tip.

(The Description and Tip Dialog is opened by selecting Description and Tip... in the context menu of a control or indicator.)

For debegging if it is possible to probe in the Iternation terminal directly without connecting any wire or terminals it will be easy

When developing a  utility to traverse any control using VI Server and save its contents to a file (similar to the OpenG utility using Variant) it is quite challenging to find out the size of the array's data.

There are various workarounds, but all of these are relatively tedious and over-complicated.

Why don't we have a "array data size" read only value on the property node of an array?

This would make things MUCH easier.

Shane.

Message Edited by Intaris on 06-12-2009 12:33 PM

Would it be good, on the Graph Properties page, Plot tag, one can set up the Y-scale to left or right? Good idea? Give this idea a Kudos!

At present, one can achieve a two Y plot by: right click the Y axis, Duplicate Scale, Swap Side, and often confused with which plot is associated with which data set.  A cleaver package like LabVIEW should not need to do this.  Just look at what Mathcad does.

The current strip charts display data a fixed intervals.  If I want to plot data that is collected at inconsistent intervals I have to use a XY chart and record the paired data.  How about creating a strip chart that displays the data against the time it was added to the plot?  The program provides the Y value and the x value is just the time the data was plotted.  The plot could have a time constant for the entire window much like the scroll rate used in actual paper chart recorders (e.g. 1 cm/minute).  In other words, one could configure the chart to have a span of 1 hour.  After an hour, data would get "pushed" off the end etc..

The current while loop executes and then checks the termination condition.  This is known as a do while loop.  First you "do" then you "check".  Can you add a "while do" loop.  This would first check the termination condition and then either execute or not.  I know I can put a do while loop in a case structure and build the same functionality as a while do loop, but it would be much easier if I could just configure the while loop to check first then execute or execute and then check.

I suggest that LabVIEW Call Library Function Node added automatically identify input and output port functions. And automatically named. This function can save the queryinput and output ports of the time, speed up the development process. Or the same as this Express function:

No "parameters" page.

That's my want!

I think there should be some way to select data out of an array on the front panel.

Whe I mean by this, is that you can not click and highlight N x M number of cells, then copy and paste (into notepad, excel, etc).

It doesnt even work if you right click the array, then press 'data operations >> copy data', unless you stay in LabVIEW.

Having the possibility to hide a pane at run time. For example if you want to hide a Button Palette, a status bar, Tree View or helper pane as specified in this snapshot:

Message Edited by Support on 06-02-2009 12:35 PM