NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
New Idea

Add "New->Folder" shortcut to autopopulating folders in the project

by Active Participant ToeCutter on ‎11-21-2013 11:06 AM - last edited on ‎04-09-2014 06:27 PM by Active Participant JordanG

Simple one, allow me to create new folders from within the right click menu in the project explorer window.

Currently I have to use 'explore' then create the folder through windows in the target directory.

Ability to change default color / style of block diagram objects

by Active Participant RnDMonkey ‎09-13-2012 09:19 AM - edited ‎09-13-2012 09:22 AM

As far as I can locate, this hasn't been posted on Idea Exchange yet.

What I'd like to be able to do is change the default colors and visibility of various components of block diagram items. For example, I might want to color the background and sub label of my timed looped structures so that they improve the appearance of my code, like NI has done in the Bioreactor example code with a free label and custom colors.

Block diagrams can be beautiful!

Rather than setting these colors/font sizes/label visibilities for each structure I place, I'd like to be able to set them only once. Currently, the sub labels' default visibility CAN be set in tools»options, but not the coloring.

add version tag to installer messages

by Member jlokanis on ‎08-07-2009 06:47 PM

I want to be able to add a dynamic tag like <my exe version> to the Welcome title and Welcome message the installer displays to the user when they run the installation.  That way, they can see what version of the exe they are installing. 

Multi Line Tip in "Description and Tip" Dialog

by Active Participant shb on ‎09-11-2012 04:30 AM

In the Description and Tip Dialog the Tip can only contain one line. On the properties page Documentation the Tip strip can me multiple lines long.

This is not consistent. Could you please allow to enter multiple lines in the Description and Tip Dialog?

When you are already at it you could also unify the labeling. In the "Descripton and Tip" Dialog, leave away the text "String" and use Tip strip instad of only Tip.

(The Description and Tip Dialog is opened by selecting Description and Tip... in the context menu of a control or indicator.)

Fix the Write to Spreadsheet

by Member dj3 on ‎09-11-2012 12:43 AM

Ever since I remember, when you use the "Write to Spreadsheet" and cancel when offered a dialog box, it throws up an error 43.

Error box

The vi does not have an error out connector so there is no way to stop this behaviour. I know that it can be overcome by using an explicit file dialog box so that the path isn't empty but then why offer the functionality of having it offer a file dialog box in the first place? It's an easy fix as I have to do it myself every time by saving a custom version and changing the internal error handler to no dialog. Just change that as the default and problem solved.

In a Mixed Signal Graph there isn't a documented way to programmatically change the 'Group' names.

They can be easily changed inside the editor, but not at run-time.

This request has been already discussed several years ago (see here)

Naming Slide/Meter/Gauge control clusters

by Active Participant GregS on ‎10-20-2010 08:21 PM

It would be useful to be able to name (either automatically or manually) the sliders of a Slide control (or needles of a Meter or Gauge).  The use-case I have is for saving a configuration file (currently requiring typecast to/from a cluster with names), but it may also be useful to be able to Unbundle By Name.  I found this post in the LabVIEW forums showing this idea has been talked about in the past also.  Here's an image from that post:

A related idea would be the ability to replace the control with a Cluster control, and vice-versa.  Currently, this requires creating a typedef and manually recreating the cluster.

Since Windows Seven, the system exec vi is not displaying accents but other ascii caracters. Depending on the Windows language I suppose.

standard output.png

This issue has been discussed since 2010 in different threads, manly this one :

and nothing has changed.

Please add this to you next SP

Typically, when working with classes, one tend to work on one class at a time. Consequently, opening a specific dynamically dispatched VI (from another VI) should result by having the class implementation opened (like if it was opened from the lvclass). The Choose Implementation dialog should not be shown (in most cases).

10-16-2010 1-47-24 PM.png

I did some quick statistic, and in most situation, I care about the class implementation (about 80% of the time). In some instance I care about parent or children implementation (about 10-15% of the time). Finally, in some rare instance (<5% of the time) I care about the sibling implementation. Note: I confirm this with a few of my colleagues as well.

So what I am proposing is that by default we should not see the Choose Implementation dialog. When we specifically want to see this dialog we could use either of these methods:

• Access it through a menu option (Ex: View>>VI Implementation).
  • Access it through a right click menu (Ex: Open Implementation).
  • Use a key modifier such as adding SHIFT (so SHIFT + Double Click or SHIFT + CTRL + Double Click will open the Choose Implementation dialog).

Comment and improvements welcome.

NOTE: This is blatently stolen from a thread I started on LAVA here.

I would like to be able to specify a VI or VIs in my project that would run when some keyboard shortcut (ctrl-shift-R was suggested) was pressed.

Since in most cases a project is used to create a single application, it makes sense that when you open the project, you would want ot run the top level (main) VI in that project most of the time.

If I right-click with the wiring tool on an output terminal and select a new item from the palette, LabView should assume that I would like to wire that new item to the place where I right-clicked.  If the item I selected has only one type-compatible input to the output I originally right-clicked, it should automatically make that wire connection when the new item is dropped.  Similarly, if I right-click on an input and select an item from the pallet, if there is only one compatable output on the item I selected, LabView should go ahead and wire that up when I drop the item.

It's important that when we've got a newly created SubVI, we document our code accordingly and draw an appropriate icon for it. This helps other users understand what types of functionality we've encapsulated within a particular VI.

This isn't always the case, though.

I think I understand that some people are pressed for time, or unaware of how to actually edit the icon of their VI, and that these shouldn't be reasons as to why their code should be harder to read by other users trying to support them because of that.

What's the big idea?

I believe what would be useful is for SubVI icons not to use the default smiling oscilloscope face, but to instead give an indication of two things:

• It's a custom VI that we're dealing with. (So we're aware that if we're trying to debug some problematic functionality, it could be in one of these custom VIs.) This will also serve to prompt the programmer to manually change the icon used at a later date.
  • It performs a particular kind of functionality. If we're looking for a particular kind of problem, such as VISA related, we'll know to search this custom VI because it uses VISA functions.

So, how would it work?

I think the way that it would work is that either it'd perform a summation of the most common palette used in the Block Diagram, or use icons based on a rating for how important they are to display; for example, there's plenty of errors that could get thrown when using DAQmx VIs, so if the SubVI contained some DAQmx VIs and a lot of basic maths, it'd be more useful to show that it relates to DAQmx than it does basic computation.

... Just an idea. Smiley Happy

If a class is contained in the private data cluster of another class, this is the LVOOP equivalent to an Association (as OOP concept). I'd like to optionally display this relationship of classes in the Class Hierarchy window. It should also work for nested structures (class in array, cluster, DVR).

As used from normal BD programming, different kinds of wire should be used to identify details of the relationship:

• green color if it's a by-ref relationship (DVR, SEQ);
  • double wire if it's contained in an array;
  • an directional arrow symbol would be necessary to indicate the navigable end.

The following would be nice to have, but partially difficult to implement:
In addition there should be a way to annotated the associations to indicate when the intended use is restricted to a child class, such as class that contains objects of the type of the same class. Here the association would point to an ancestor of this class. Either we should be able to put a comment on the 'wire' to document this intention. Ideally we could be able to wire classes with recursive associations (which are not possible in LVOOP, hence this should also not have any effect on the code by only be documentation), and link it to the implemented association wire.

Timeout terminal for while loops

by Member christian.karcher on ‎09-06-2012 01:38 AM

one of my main errors while programming were infinite loops due to instruments that responded not as expected or numerical criteria that could not be fulfilled.

I got rid of these problems (with instrument I/O in particular) by introducing timeouts into my while loops, i.e. just counting the milliseconds and exit upon timeout.

Hence my idea is to integrate an optional timeout into while loops to simplify this procedure.

while loop timeout terminal

- Christian

Selectable Class Data Member Scope

by Trusted Enthusiast Trusted Enthusiast on ‎10-12-2010 07:39 PM

Currently, a class is created with a Class Private Data Cluster. Each data member of that cluster is scoped exclusively to the owning class. For access to these data members outside class member VIs, getters and setters (accessors) must be established individually for each element. These accessors can then be scoped accordingly, allowing access to the private class data through the accessor VI, or in 2010, through an accessor Property Node.

Quite frankly, I like the IDE interface for accessing class data members using Unbundle/Bundle by Name. This feels natural for LVOOPers who have a background with clustered typedefs (which means everybody). Unfortunately, this method of data access is reserved for callers within the scope of the class data. Currently, since all class data is private, you can only use Unbundle/Bundle within Class Member VIs themselves.

I would suggest an options interface for setting the scopes of Class Data Members. Having non-private data member scopes has benefits:

1. Obviates all the piddly accessors clogging your project tree and SCC server
  2. Allows quick visual recognition that a data member is being read/written directly (no data transformations were snuck into the accessor)
  3. Cleaner interface for callers of the class using the Bundle/Unbundle
  4. Best of all, saves considerable development and maintenance cost
Here's an example of what the Data Member Scope Configuration screen might look like:
Note that clusters can have "Custom" scope, which means the cluster's elements have different scopes. Also note that when a cluster's scope is set explicitly, it's members inherit the same scope and cannot be set (note how 'x' and 'y' are greyed under 'Center of Mass'). The default behavior (which is equivalent to today's default scope) is for 'Class Data Cluster' to be 'Private' with all descendants greyed.
This Idea is one product of a discussion which has taken several routes.

Almost every time when I'm building an application, I always have to reconfigure the created ini-file (based on labview.ini file) denpending on what to use.

Then I have to go search for the tags in labview.ini and copy them in my ini file.

It would be easier if you could hit a configure button in the application builder so you could select which setting you want to use in your own ini file and which one you don't.

I'm especially struggling with some standard ones like useLocalDecimalpoint

Kind of related to my frustration I mentioned in this idea, I would like to have a one time auto grow option for structures.  If  the structure is not set to auto grow, allow the user to select to Auto Grow once.

You can accomplish this now by turning on Auto Grow, then go back and turn it back off.

If my other idea was accepted, then this would also be a nice add-on that would override the global setting and do the one-time auto grow.

Probe iteration terminals

by Member RichardJennings on ‎12-12-2009 03:35 PM
I would like to pop-up and put a probe on the iteration terminal of loops to look at the loop count without having to wire the terminal to an indicator first.

NI Spy > View > Always On Top

by Active Participant Broken_Arrow Active Participant on ‎11-14-2013 06:22 PM

It'd be great if NI Spy had an "always on top" selection under the View menu.

thanks! Smiley Happy

I would like a better way to clear the list of recent files and recent projects in LabView.  It is often disireable to clear the history when changing to a different project or a different user.   Currently the user must close LV, edit the .ini file and restart LV.  I would like to see menu selections added to allow the list of recent files and/or recent projects to be cleared.

About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors