LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Community Browser
About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Top Kudoed Authors
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have an idea for LabVIEW NXG?

Use the in-product feedback feature to tell us what we’re doing well and what we can improve. NI R&D monitors feedback submissions and evaluates them for upcoming LabVIEW NXG releases. Tell us what you think!

Post an idea

For non-integer increments, the data entry currently accumulates binary errrors due to the limits if the DBL representation, so e.g. sometimes the upper limit cannot  be reached using the increment button several times, but only when entering the upper limit directly.

This comes up at regular intervals, e.g. here. In one fo these discussions, I long ago suggested to make it into an idea. It seems this has not happened, so here it is! Smiley Happy

This limitation needs to be handled with some internal code, e.g. to coerce the value to the nearest decimal fraction based on the least significant digit of the increment value whenever the up/down buttons are used. ... or something similar. Smiley Wink

Right now, we can only edit a few select build specification properties, such as Icon, Name, and DisplayName. I think it would be very useful to be able to edit more of these properties programmatically.

Things I would like to be able to set/read via property nodes:

Build specification name

Target filename

Destination directory

Build specification description

everything under "Version Information"

Other items would be useful as well, but those are the ones I care about the most.

For the most part coersions can be broken down into two classes: lossy (e.g. 64L to I8) and safe (e.g. U8 to U16). Why is there only one color option for coersion dots?  Could the vi analizer have seperate settings for max allowable safe and unsafe  coersions?

Curvature in NI Vision has a property that makes a lot of sense: "If the current point is too close to either end of the array to choose the additional points, the curvature is calculated as 0." (Vision Manual).

Too close refers - obviously - to ~0.5 Kernel size.

curvature.png

This makes no sense when I'm working on an contour that is "closed" (starting point = ending point) - for example, when I am trying to analyse a particle and its "turning points". 

I'm losing 1 kernel width of data at exactly the starting point/end point - as marked in the picture - and in this synthetically generated and exxagerrated case, I'm losing the information about one edge!

To fix this, I either rotate the ROI or change the search direction, calculate the missing data and replace the values in the curvature profile. (Or - calculate the curvature myself.) 

This makes absolutely no sense. 
Vision could easily recognize starting-point = ending-point, or just allow me set some boolean if there is a reason not to make this automatic. (I can't think of one.)

Ever right-click a VI, reference, property node etc and have the search window pop up showing it is in multiple places. Then you double-click one of them or press go to and the window closes, only for you to realize that you didn't click the instance you were looking for?! So, now you have to go through the whole process again. Not to mention you don't know which one you just clicked on so you don't know how to pick up where you left off. Disaster. Please, just have the window stay open and your recent selection stay highlighted after going to that instance!

I would like a better way to clear the list of recent files and recent projects in LabView.  It is often disireable to clear the history when changing to a different project or a different user.   Currently the user must close LV, edit the .ini file and restart LV.  I would like to see menu selections added to allow the list of recent files and/or recent projects to be cleared.

Currently LabVIEW provides the ability to apply the library icon to all the member VIs through the "Apply Icon to VIs" button on the library's general settings property page. This action applies the icon to all the VIs in the library and sets them as modified, even if the VI had the same icon before. Consider the case where you move a VI from one library into another. In this case, you want to apply the library icon for the destination library to the VI. The "Apply Icon To VIs" would be overkill, especially if the library has a large number of member VIs. Rather than the "Apply Icon to VIs" on the library, it would be very useful to have a "Apply Library Icon to VI" action that you apply on the VI in question that would apply the owning library icon to the VIs icon. This action would only modify the one VI that needs to get the new icon.

I use fixed point values quite a bit, and i do find myself splitting and joining them quite often when I have to roll my own low-level, optimized operations. 

The fixed point type is (generally) treated as an arithmetic type (e.g. floating point) rather than a logical type (e.g. integers). The (default) configuration should maintain this behavior.

split.png

What I would have found most useful is having Split cut the value in half and return the two properly configured fixed point values. Join would take two adjacent fixed point types and glue them together into one value. This definition would actually make Join equivalent to adding the two values.

Split could take an optional split location which dictates the binary point at which the values are split apart. I suggest defining the value as the location of the lsb (least significant bit) of the high part. In the example, the value would be 0 to get the equivalent behavior. This terminal would require a (immediately computable) constant wired to it since the fixed point output types can't be computed until this value is known.

I don't like that controls, type defs and strict type defs all have the same file extension: "*.ctl".  I'd like to see something like:

• Standard control: *.lvctl
  • Type definition: *.lvtypedef

(I don't think there needs to be two extenstions to distinguish between type defs and strict type defs).

Wish there was an “inspection window” showing the block diagram of a sub-vi on mouse-over. (double-click & open to edit). Perhaps, it can even appear below context help.

(Not sure if someone has already suggested it) 

Hello,

when you want to create a constant cluster using the context menu item "Create constant", the new constant is created by default in "Big", not iconified.

This can cause problem if the constant creation takes place in a structure ... because the structure is then automatically resized.

It should be nice to use the new LV2010 feature which allows to transform a cluster in an iconified way.

Manu.

Many people don't know, but there is a great VI in vi.lib called Open a Document on Disk.vi which does exactly as it explains.  If you feed it the location of any document (Word, Excel, HTML, PDF, ANYTHING!) it will open it with its default program on the computer.  Unfortunately this VI is hidden from the palette deep inside the vi.lib somewhere.  I think this should be placed on the palette as it can be very helpful in application development.

The VI is located at C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2009\vi.lib\Platform\browser.llb\Open a Document on Disk.vi (default LabVIEW installation directory may be different) 

This is for the Idea Exchange, so I wasn't sure where to put it. It sometimes takes a while to notice duplicate ideas and when we do everyone that Kudoed the duplicate has to go back and Kudo the original. In the spirit of "No Kudo Left Behind", can we just update the system to do that for us?

Add Connect as an option when right clicking on an empty Connector Pane Terminal. In addition to single clicking, since you can right click and disconnect it would be nice to also be able to right click and Connect a Terminal

LabVIEW Connector Pane.png

I have often missed the options to set slider fill to either "Fill to zero" or "Fill to slider Index" in order to allow for easy display of certain conditions.  Currently, we need to continually monitor the current state of the values and adapt the fill mode appropriately.  Problem is that writing to the terminal for a value and setting the property for the fill are asynchronous.  Requiring a "Defer panel update" call for something so trivial as a slider fill seems quite excessive.

Workarounds often also involve multiple overlapped (mostly transparent) sliders which is a real performance hog.

So Please give us those two fill options.. Please?

In the Project Explorer, File >> Recent Files currently displays the most recent files opened in any project.  It would be useful if instead, it would display only files from the project associated with the Project Explorer window that Recent Files is selected from.

Hello,

It would be nice to add a new menu item in Labview IDE, which could close all executing VI's.

This could solve the problem of "running Modal VI's" which can "block" an execution.

This could also be helpfull to "clear" the execution context when you have bad closed "detached and assynchonous executing VI's".

The top, would be to get a report (a list of VI's in a window) of the forced closed VI's ... It would be helpfull for analysis.

Manu.net

There are several ideas here about making the LabVIEW IDE support a dynamically tabbed interface where front panels &/or diagrams are shown on different pages of a tab in the same window.

But so far (?) I have not seen anyone suggest to support such a user interface element as a control on the front panel itself (i.e. available for use in the applications we make with LabVIEW). Such functionality is currently only available from a third party (this is in other words really their great idea, my contribution is only that I would want to push this into becoming a native control type):

SAPHIR have made a very nice XControl named XTab, it is free and available through the LabVIEW Tools Network - but personally I hesitate to use it in any of our products as this would make us depend on future support from Saphir.

If it was offered as part of LabVIEW, I would have adopted it right away. Please, can we have a native XTab?

Here is how XTab from SAPHIR works:

Xtab-PictureViewerDemo by SAPHIR-Videocast

The 'Prompt User for Input' express VI (LabVIEW 2010) conveniently sets up the return and escape keys as shortcut keys for  the OK and Cancel buttons if you want a 2-button dialog, but if you only want one button (OK), it doesn't get assigned a shortcut key, so you end up having to customize every such express VI . Surely it makes sense to retain the use of the return key to complete data entry in a 1 button dialog?

I understand the complication of vertical cursors in charts, but why not horizontal?  I often need to represent high and low thresholds during continuous acquisition and have to turn to my own homemade functions to get a graph or xy-plot to appear like a scrolling chart, just to have horizontal cursors.