NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
New Idea

We're working on adding considerably more help and documantation to one of our commercial products written in LabVIEW.  It would be great to be able to link directly to specific topics in the help documentation from the context sensitive help window.  This is possible for VI help, but not for controls and indicators.  The same suggestion was made in the forums.  This would greatly facilitate help documentation, since the context sensitive help window mechanism requires very little programming and is already available.  Currently, one can add menu items or buttons that jump to any specific place in a help file, but that requires event cases for every instance.  Populating the context-sensitive help with relevant text and links could be done in a fairly automated way with some LV tools using VI Server.

DaveT

With a For loop, the indexing should always be disabled for the error line.

an auto-indexed tunnel by defaut does not make sense with the error line.

this idea  is different from mine

SR1.png

It seems LV loads current system locale settings when it starts up and then uses these settings to convert UTC time to the current system locale settings when we display the time through a timestamp indicator or e.g. convert it to a string. Thus when timezone or DST setting is changed while our application is running, LV still displays it using the old settings. Only after a restart the new locale settings are used and the displayed time will be correct.

I would like LV to either always query the current system locale settings and use those when displaying a time or (more flexible) have a time formatting specifier that could be used to force use of current system locale settings instead of the one loaded when LV was started.

The LabVIEW Unflatten From XML function has an error input and error output.  However, the Flatten to XML function does not.  For the sake of consistency and dataflow, it would be nice if the Flatten to XML function also had an error input and error output.

Launch correct version of LabVIEW

by Member Al1234 on ‎07-03-2011 04:28 PM

If have multiple versions of LabVIEW installed and work with different versions for different customers. Currently the last version of LabVIEW launched is the version that the OS launches.

Can't a LabVIEW launcher program have a look at the VI or project version and launch the best choice of LabVIEW version installed instead?

Al

Skip this control when tabbing

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎06-04-2009 04:23 AM

The Skip this control when tabbing property is unchecked by default when adding a control to the front panel.

However, in the majority of my applications :

• Most of the VIs are invisible and the tab behavior is not used. Therefore, the setting is irrelevant.
  • For most of the controls of the UI VIs, the default setting must be changed (all controls outside the visible part of the front panel...) 

It would save me some time by checking this property by default. But I wouldn't be surprised if other developers had the opposite opinion ! So add this property to the LabVIEW options to allow us to set it according to our needs and preferences.

Swap T / F Terminals in Select Function

by Active Participant Andrey_Dmitriev on ‎10-21-2009 08:08 AM

Sometimes I need Select function with "Swapped" T / F Terminals,

like this:

FT.png

I need this, because sometimes it caused the following constructions:

TF.png

Its will be very nice if both functions will be available.

Andrey

PS 

Sorry, if this idea was already submitted (haven't found yet)

Add IMAQ window events to the LabVIEW event queue

by Active Participant GregS on ‎01-16-2011 09:28 PM

Currently the IMAQ (Vision) display windows maintain a separate event queue which can only be accessed by polling for new events.  This should be integrated into the LabVIEW event handling so that all IMAQ events  (e.g. Click Event, Draw Event, Move Event, etc) can be event sources for the Event Structure.

CAN Frame API polish

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎08-12-2010 06:45 AM

Rewrite the CAN Frame API library by using the 4x2x2x4 connector pattern for each VI.

Currently, the 13 (thirteen !!!) patterns (4x2x2x4, 4x2x2, 4x1x2x4, 4x1x1, 4x3, 4x2, 3x1x2, 3x4, 3x3, 3x2, 2x4, 2x3 and 2x2) lead to wire bends and make the alignement of the VIs more difficult.

21229iFF8ADD1D8AF4B5F5

Front Panel Editing Mode

by Active Participant Enrique on ‎12-21-2011 12:04 AM

Some people will prefer if the front panel is designed by a graphic artist. You don't want the graphic artist to touch (or even see) the source code or to change controls or indicators in the front panel to ones that will make the VI inoperable (replacing a numeric indicator with a string indicator, for example.)

It will be nice to have a "Front Panel edit mode" where you can only edit the cosmetics of the front panel: move controls and indicators, resize, change colors, etc., test the "Scaling Front Panel Objects" feature (if used), add clipart, etc., with constraints such as only replacing with the same datatype (unable to replace a numeric indicator with a string indicator), unable to change a control into an indicator and viceversa, unable to delete controls or indicators (but perhaps you can add and even link to an existing control or indicator.)

Regards;

Enrique

Collapsible code

by Active Participant ErnieH on ‎08-09-2010 09:38 AM

I would like to be able to collapse code so that it looks like a sub vi but is part of the main vi as if it was not represented as a icon. Double click to edit it like a vi. Options to convert it to a real vi. This would be useful for glue logic, being able to build and share more complex functions without a lot of subvi's. Decrease cross linking of VI's and naming problems. Attibute nodes and locals could be used inside ot them without passing a reference. Would make source code control simpler.

Report Generation Toolkit - Power Point Addition

by Member SI-JE on ‎06-28-2011 01:52 PM

Add power point added to the programs supported by the report generation tool kit. 

How about adding a feature to a few of the LV primitives such that an error cluster can be optionally added to catch some common issues that right now require special checking:  For example, Divide by zero, returning an error as well as Nan, or Index Array where the index < 0 or > size.  THe error cluster would allow easier handling of these cases WHEN DESIRED, by wiring directly to a case structure, etc.

(This idea evolved form a discussion at the CLA Summit during a talk by Nate Meohring.)

DaveT

Monitor Input for File Dialog Function

by Member wevanarsdale on ‎01-11-2011 01:04 PM

The prevalence of systems with more than one display suggests the addition of a "monitor" input to the unused terminal on the connector of the File Dialog function.  This U16 input should allow developers to specify a display using the VI Front Panel Window:Monitor property.  In addition, this function should appear on the Advanced File Functions subpalette.  The File Dialog express VI should be promoted to the File I/O palette.

File Dialog Function.JPG

improved LinkedInputTunnel option

by Active Participant christian_w on ‎05-28-2014 04:08 AM

I'd like to have the LinkedInputTunnel option also for a selector terminal.

linkedInputTunnel.jpg

When you are viewing a block diagram of a VI you can ctrl+double click a subVI to open that subVI's block diagram directly (instead of having to open its front panel and then switch to the block diagram). It would be nice to be able to do that from the project window as well. Ctrl+double clicking or ctrl+enter on a VI in a project window should open the VI and immediately switch to the block diagram.

As of LabVIEW 2010 when I select Edit...Set Tabbing Order from the menu of a VI LabVIEW makes all controls visible, which is necessary but not sufficient, since that doesn't necessarily make them accessible.

For instance, in our view VIs we frequently make buttons visible only in states when the user can click them.  For instance, in the image below the Start button is visible when the system is in StandbyState, but the GoToStandby button (behind it in the image) is visible instead once the system starts. 

EditTabOrder.PNG

I see there are a lot of IDE change requests already but negative feedbacks don't let fundemantel changes. At least to organise opened windows I have a suggestion. What about to add an embedded window to Project Explorer. As you know, if you have a lot of opened front panels, controls, etc you have to search each one to check which ones necessary and at which one you work on last. If you have 100+ items at Project Window it is not easy to search which ones are opened and which ones you work on. When you open a VI, control,.. it drops down the "Opened Items Window" by the hierarchy among the other opened items and when we mouse over it a small window shows FP+BD same time and when we double click on it (or ctrl+double click for BD) FP opens. Also we can do some other right click operations, close, save, etc...

Idea is expandable in many ways but as it is an opton for anyone doesn't want to use this he/she can shut it down. 

Opened VIs.png

Auto update globals variables name

by Active Participant Pnt on ‎10-03-2009 12:49 PM

When you change a global's variable name, all instances are not been updated, causing a broken arrow.

It must be done manually and it costs a lot of time.

There is an option "Find ALL instances" so i guess it is very easy to update all names automatically

I would like a key or click combination to highlight the entire wire.  Structure borders are brick walls for the highlight feature, so you must follow the wire to the structure, then double-click the other side of the tunnel in order to continue tracing the data flow.

For example, if I double click to the right of the While Loop, I get this:

2010-02-24_161326.png

What I want to get is this:

2010-02-24_161539.png

What do you all do when you're tracing wires through structures? 

Latest LabVIEW Idea Exchange Blog Posts
About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Top Kudoed Authors
Idea Statuses