cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
JimboH

custom control xcontrol

Moved to CAR database. CAR#184512
Please add an option to have a new custom control from the xcontrol management panel.  Currently I need to create a new control, and then add it to the xcontrol afterwards.
6 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
What is the XControl management panel? I have no idea what you're referring to. And since the XControl is a custom control, I'm not sure what it is you're asking to add. Perhaps some screen shots of the fix you'd like to see?
JimboH

Sorry about the confusion.  I meant the .xctl file.  The picture below shows that there is no option for putting a new custom control into the xcontrol directly.  Instead I need to first create a new custom control through the file menu, then insert the created control into the xcontrol "management panel" (project management window?,  show below to left).  This is useful for creating type defined enumerated constants and clusters used in the facade and in subvis that the facade calls. I realize that you are creating a control, and perhaps most people won't need more controls to add to their xcontrol, but I don't think it would be creating much of an inconvenience to have the option "Control" following "Method" in the drop down list. 

CustomControlXcontrol.PNG

Notice that "control" is missing above, but is an option below in a class. 

controlInClass.PNG 

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

Hmm... I agree with Jimbo, that it's not necessarily straightforward to start a new custom control, but I think crelf's Idea would handle all of my needs. What do you think Jimbo - would that idea be a suitable fix? I would say that 98% or more of my typedefs start as a cluster constant on a block diagram, and maybe 2% start as a blank slate from "File>New".

TCPlomp
Trusted Enthusiast

Can't you create a control on a virtual folder?

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

A) JimboH: I'd call that a bug, not a feature request. New>>Control ought to be available for all of our library types.  I'll file the CAR. (CAR 184512)

B) You can just pop up on My Computer and select New >> Control and then move the control into the XControl. You're may respond with, "Where's 'My Computer'?" Well, most people who are building XControls are working inside a project instead of editing the XControl standalone. I'd strongly recommend doing all your LV development these days inside a project because of the sheer amount of tracking and automation that the project can provide for you, not to mention the various features that support development. In this particular case, it would give you an easy way to create a new control which you could then just move into the XControl by dragging in the project tree. 

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined
Moved to CAR database. CAR#184512