From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LukeASomers

context menu of parent available from context menu of child

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.

So I have this graph, or a control in a cluster, or an element of an array. I right-click on it... nope, got the contextual menu for an interior element. Try again... nope, again. I'm supposed to click in that fringe that sometimes I can get it no trouble and sometimes it seems like it's a quarter of a pixel wide. And I'm sound of eye and hand. I wouldn't want to see what this would be like for someone who's stiff or has even mild eyesight problems.

What would solve half of this problem is a contextual menu item that expands into the entire context menu for the parent. So if you right-click on one control in the cluster, it just takes a moment to get that one layer out to the whole cluster.

What would solve the rest would be if one of the elements in this menu (perhaps in all context menus) was 'select this'. In this case, that object would be selected (with shift down, added to selection), marching-ants style. Then we could move, copy, delete, etc.

I'd apply this to anything else, like labels or captions, that are part of another thing.

It would be nice but not necessary if we could get the 'marching ants' effect going around the parent while you're in the parent's submenu, as a navigational aid.

4 Comments
Intaris
Proven Zealot

Nah, what we need is a tree view of all objecty on the FP anf BD (and I mean recursively listing clusters and so on) so that we can access them directly and set / read properties like Visual Studio has been doing since the last milennium.

LukeASomers

That would be nice too, but a tad heavyweight for this purpose.

Did you suggest it?

Intaris
Proven Zealot

I think so, I'm old and my memory isn't what it used to be.

I can't seem to find anything like this though.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.