From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qing_shan61

asigning plot data on the right Y axis

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Would it be good, on the Graph Properties page, Plot tag, one can set up the Y-scale to left or right? Good idea? Give this idea a Kudos!

At present, one can achieve a two Y plot by: right click the Y axis, Duplicate Scale, Swap Side, and often confused with which plot is associated with which data set.  A cleaver package like LabVIEW should not need to do this.  Just look at what Mathcad does.

4 Comments
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Not sure what your suggestion is: simplify creating a new scale or a better way to figure out which scale a plot is associated with? What data set are you talking about?

Note that I am not defending the current graph object features (not me!) but it is unlikely that LV will ever be as flexible/powerful/you name it as a dedicated data analysis and graphing package (any of them, not just MathCad)...

The current implementation, for this functionality, is not THAT bad. You need to do SOMETHING to create an axis... There needs to be a DEFAULT Y axis position... and if you want to know which axes a plot is associated to (or change that), this is easily checked with the X Scale and Y Scale properties (simple click on the plot legend)...

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

OK, so I ran out of Edit time while I was editing my post. Blast!

Anyhow, I was just commenting that I finally figured that you were referring to features within the Properties Dialog window (which I rarely use myself). You can't create new scales there (these are axes in pretty much the whole world except in Austin, TX, it seems), as you noticed. But you can select which scales/axes a plot is associated to. If I understand, you are suggesting to offer an option to create scales there and/or specify which side of the graph they should be located. I guess you could also ask to be offered the option for them to overlap (the current design sucks IMO), or specify their precise location with respect to one another, etc...

I'd rather have NI work on missing features of the graph object (such as the ability to move plots up or down in the drawing stack, so that graph 1 is not necessarily overlaid by Graph 2 and so on)! But Kudo nonetheless...

Yamaeda
Proven Zealot

Yes, from properties page you should be able to select side of axis and create a new one.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.