LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ouadji

align "rotate 1D array"

Re-opening because LabVIEW NXG has been discontinued.

16 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Similar ideas:

Change error terminals of Variant to Data function to match every other VI and Function in LabVIEW

Split Number/Join Numbers primitive connector placement

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
PaulG.
Active Participant

NI does stuff like this on purpose just to aggravate our OCDs. Smiley Happy

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Manzolli
Active Participant

Additional suggestion: "n" terminal on the top middle position, like the "Trim Whitespace" function.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
SnowMule
Active Participant

Variant, and some of the Serial/VISA VI's are offset too.  The initialize-serial-port VI is one pixel off... :headexplode:

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Remember some of those vi's have a 5 connector pattern.  Some have a 4 connector pattern.  That makes it tough to line up.

sridar.m

Awesome! the way the problem was hightlighted is good

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I think you are all missing the point of this INTENTIONAL offset. After all, it is called Rotate 1D Array:

Screen Shot 2014-12-27 at 12.35.25.png

550nm

I enthusiastically kudoed your "VIs in memory" idea, but have reservations about this one...

When a wire enters and leaves at different heights, it's a visual cue that the VI is wired correctly.

When a wire enters and leaves at the _same_ height, perhaps only the input is wired - you can't tell.

(There are two kinds of LabVIEW programmer: those who have been "bitten" by this bug, and those who will be.)

In the first example, the ugly bend can be removed by raising the height of tunnel at sequence-structure.

RavensFan
Knight of NI

@550 nm wrote:

When a wire enters and leaves at different heights, it's a visual cue that the VI is wired correctly.

When a wire enters and leaves at the _same_ height, perhaps only the input is wired - you can't tell.

(There are two kinds of LabVIEW programmer: those who have been "bitten" by this bug, and those who will be.)

I'd argue these problems can happen anywhere, even when the inputs and output aren't aligned.  And VI Analyzer is the tool to look for wires hiding behind objects.  Wire cleanup and BD cleanup would also fix it if you don't mind that it may also change other parts of the wire or diagram.

550nm

RavensFan wrote

@550 nm wrote:

I'd argue these problems can happen anywhere, even when the inputs and output aren't aligned.  And VI Analyzer is the tool to look for wires hiding behind objects.  Wire cleanup and BD cleanup would also fix it if you don't mind that it may also change other parts of the wire or diagram.

I'd argue that an uwired-connector bug is not likely to be accompanied by a bend that's behind VI and also happens to exit from correct terminal.

So,a masked-bug problem is extremely unlikely to happen - unless connectors are aligned.

I'd prefer not to complicate my job by adopting habits that increase the likelyhood of bugs and require extra work/tools to validate.

It's easier to avoid bugs by using inherently-safe(er) coding practice.