LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim12345678

add a timed strip chart

The current strip charts display data a fixed intervals.  If I want to plot data that is collected at inconsistent intervals I have to use a XY chart and record the paired data.  How about creating a strip chart that displays the data against the time it was added to the plot?  The program provides the Y value and the x value is just the time the data was plotted.  The plot could have a time constant for the entire window much like the scroll rate used in actual paper chart recorders (e.g. 1 cm/minute).  In other words, one could configure the chart to have a span of 1 hour.  After an hour, data would get "pushed" off the end etc..

12 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Actually, if you use Waveforms properly, they will do this for you.  I had a project where I got signals at inconsistant intervals.  I would just create a waveform from the curent time and the single data point I had at that time and wrote that to the chart.  When the next one came in 0.5 seconds later, I did the same thing and the chart used the T0 time to put the data point in the right spot on the chart.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Jim12345678

Can you post example code?  I've spent the morning trying to figure out your approach.

crossrulz
Knight of NI

I just made a quick nugget here: Sporatic Waveform Chart

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Jim12345678

Now I just have to figure out how to get this to work with multiple plots....

multiple plots.png

crossrulz
Knight of NI

Looks like something is wrong with your chart.  I suggest starting a new thread in the LabVIEW board to figure out this issue.

GCentral
Jim12345678

I have to figure out how to make a 2D waveform chart - if that's even possible.

crossrulz
Knight of NI

Sounds like you are using graphs instead of charts.  Again, I recommend starting a new thread in the LabVIEW board.

GCentral
donkdonk

Yes!!! Kudoos.

However it is a duplicate of my idea, see http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Charts-with-quot-non-evenly-spaced-quot-timestamp-per-...

(My headline probably is a not-so-good one. The idea did not catch on Smiley Wink)

I am really surprised LabVIEW does not have charts that behave as the suggested idea.

Moreover, I am surprised no one seems to bother!

I even had collegues -unfamiliar with LabVIEW- doubting this NI software could be taken seriously for not having this obvious chart functionality.

There is a workaround though, already pointed out by crossrulz.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I just posted to the other thread why I believe this request to be a bad idea to ever add to LabVIEW. This idea will be closed as a duplicate of that one.

Darren
Proven Zealot