LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Poema

add a shortcut (ctrl+x) to switch between read and write option for shared vars, local vars, ...

After you selected a shared var, local var, ... it should be possible to use a shortcut (ctrl+x) to switch between the read and write option

11 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Not Ctrl+x.  That is "Cut"

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
P@Anand
Trusted Enthusiast

Seems to be a nice idea to switch the Variable as read/write. But this must not be restricted to variabled but to the Controls and Indicator terminals as well. Its always easy to move fast with the keyboard.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
Poema

@crossruiz :  Ctrl+x was only as an example

@p@Anand : to make it also possible for Controls and Indicators is indeed a good idea

Darren
Proven Zealot

Maybe the Space bar could be used to "toggle" certain selected diagram objects? Like toggling a control into an indicator, a variable from read/write, etc.?

P@Anand
Trusted Enthusiast

But space bar is already used for Quickdrop right, it may confuse the user. This option may be given as an customizable shorcut without any default.

-----

Darren
Proven Zealot

Ctrl-Space is Quick Drop. Currently, pressing Space while objects are selected does nothing. I thought that might be a good (default) "toggle" button.

P@Anand
Trusted Enthusiast

That makes sense and will be a very handy option. 

-----

elset191
Active Participant

Related idea

I think spacebar does something when you're not using the autotool.  Probably would get annoying for those weirdos.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
dthor
Active Participant

The concept behind the idea is good:

Add some kind of keyboard shortcut for block diagram objects that could switch or toggle between the various object states.

Examples include, but are not limited to:

swtich bewtween read and write for variables

switch between control/indicator/constant for terminals

cycle through polymorphic VI types

toggle between tunnel types (indexing / last value)

etc.

JÞB
Knight of NI

Currently Space or Shift+Space toggles the selected tool between the two most used tools while tab operates just a bit different.

I would be happy with spacebar toggling direction of selected items if: all selected items have a direction.  This makes it easy to write an inverse function.  just drop the controls indicators  Space and Ctrl+U to move them to opposing BD sides.  

The implementaton on p-nodes with mixed reads and writes should toggle all IMO and the RCM should probably get a toggle all as well.  right now we can make all R/W or toggle a single property only.  

The question comes down to: for the non-Auto-Toolers (and I am one!) there are "Tabbers" and "Spacers" As A tabber this would extend what my left hand can do while coding.  but it may annoy the spacers when they change direction rather than tool so. there would need to be a way to turn the feature off with an ini key "DirectionChangeOnSpace=<BOOL>(False)" to implement on SPACE. but, Shift+Space should be an option for implementing direction swap I doubt there are many shift+spacers selecting tools

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay