LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hooovahh

XNet Virtual Hardware / Ports

Back in the NI-CAN days, there was a handy development tool which was the usage of two virtual CAN ports, ports CAN256, and CAN257.  If you wrote a frame on one, it would be read on the other, and vise versa.  Other CAN hardware like Vector, and Kvasar support virtual CAN hardware which does something similar, where initial development can be tested before having access to the hardware.

This idea is to add virtual hardware support for XNET which supports this same feature.  it has been talked about in a thread here several years ago, but nothing ever came of it.  Adding support for virutal hardware for CAN, LIN, Flex-Ray and any other XNET hardware would be a great development tool, and enable the testing of the expected handshaking of software, with simulated communications.

14 Comments
sfrosty
Active Participant

I would definitely like to see virtual support for CAN!

MattGordon

This would be a huge help. Right now I can simulate everything in my cDAQ chassis except the NI9862.

Being able to test the hardware startup/initialization and data output would save me a lot of time. 

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Matt,

If you like the idea, then you should click the star to register your vote with a Kudo!

Tepig
Active Participant

I need this feature. Why NI-CAN has but NI-XNET doesn't.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions

GCentral
_Tom_

I need this feature to test the ECUMC toolkit with a simulated ECU over CAN. I know I can test it with TCP/IP but I need to test CAN only features of the XCP protocol. But I don't always have real XNET hardware ready to use.

- Thomas -
RavensFan
Knight of NI

_Tom_

Read the messages above yours!

If "need this feature" click the Kudo star to register your vote!

amirana

I also need this feature, it would be great to have it !

wielro_1

This would be great to have it, other suppliers have this feature.

DCSmith

I have been waiting for so long for this feature.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I tracked down project leads for XNET.

At the moment, there are no plans to add virtual interfaces to XNET. It is a major undertaking that never gets to the top of the priority rankings, but it is acknowledged as a good idea (the predecessor of XNET, NI-CAN, had virtual interfaces).

Therefore, I will continue to leave the idea open to accumulate more kudos. As always, reaching out to your NI sales contacts and letting them know what projects you're failing for lack of a feature can allow a lone customer to drive priority up without having to recruit masses for kudos, if the sales opportunities are large enough.