LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X.

Wires should inherit their name from their source

Right now, if you select to show the label of a wire connected to the output of a named cluster, the label is empty:

ScreenHunter_001.jpg

The white space surrounded by a box pointed to by the line is the location of the blinking cursor.

This is similar for all wire sources: controls, constants, function outputs, etc and should behave similarly for all.

4 Comments
Mr._Jim
Active Participant

I'm pretty sure I understand what you meant, but just to clarify:

1. It should inherit the name when first wired
  2. The user may change the wire name if s/he chooses

Is that what you meant, or did you mean to force the name to the inherited one such that the user can't change it?

If it's not forced forever, then that's a good idea!  Should save a lot of typing...

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Option 2 seems natural to me.

As a matter of fact, I just realized that I should have gone for the full blown natural behavior which would be: a wire should inherit its name from its source (no matter what the source is).

Problem is, I forgot that this was not the case (aging memory circuits...). I will ask a moderator to change the title for me as well as add a short sentence to this effect.

LordNobady
you mean this is not?

Learning LabVIEW since January 2013
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Unless I have some secret ini settings that turns off this option, I indeed mean that a wire NEVER seems to inherit the name of its source.

Don't ask me what the logic of this is, but considering that some at NI think that there shouldn't be a wire label in the first place, we probably shouldn't get our hope set too high.