From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcoMauri

Wait (ms) with error pass-through

Hi!

Maybe this has been already requested elsewhere and I'm missing it....

but it would be useful to have a Wait (ms) with connectors for error in and out.

This can help keeping the BD clean...

Marco

18613iCF039EA34765F743

60 Comments
jkodosky
NI Employee (retired)

BTW, .vim files are a prototype feature (since before LabVIEW 8.2!!) and aren't directly supported.

You will need to add this token to your preferences:

ExternalNodesEnabled=True

and you can add this one to see the scripted code if desired:

XNodeWizardMode=True

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Jeff, this seems like a really cool function (macro?) that can help a lot.  I can't wait to dig into it further.

If I could suggest one more feature to add this, put an output that gives the tick count as well.  That way we could use it as an inline on a wire to assist with benchmarking code.

Hooovahh
Proven Zealot

Hey Jeff, you know this is going to cause lots of discussions right?  My first question, is what benefit does VIMs have that an XNode doesn't (or can't) that same question could be applied to other things like Generics, and even express VIs, but I suppose that is a different discussion.

Edit: I'm also posting this in the link you had, because this discussion might be better categorized there, rather than this idea exchange item.

jkodosky
NI Employee (retired)

Macros use an XNode (XMacro.xnode in the resource directory).  Anything you can do with a macro you can do with an xnode at considerable extra time and effort.  Individual Xnodes are much more flexible than a corresponding macro, of course, but if you don't need that flexibility a macro may suffice.  A macro simply inlines the code and lets type propagation resolve everything and there isn't much help if an error is encountered (other than using the xnode wizard to show the inlined code).  I think of a macro as a poorman's generic VI.

jkodosky
NI Employee (retired)

So, here's a new version with a tick count output.

Screen Shot 2015-08-14 at 10.10.58 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-08-14 at 10.11.04 AM.png

and here's what it looks like in use:

Screen Shot 2015-08-14 at 10.09.40 AM.png

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

@jkodosky wrote:

You will need to add this token to your preferences:

ExternalNodesEnabled=True

and you can add this one to see the scripted code if desired:

XNodeWizardMode=True

JeffK-On-VIMs.jpg

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

Also, recent comments on VIM have stirred some conversation over on LAVA: https://lavag.org/topic/19163-vi-macros/

HowardB

This might be useful to someone.  Has options for delay on error, always delay, delay if no error, just return tick count

TimerFlow.png

Vignesh_R

This feature is added as Stall wire functionality,very simpler than you expectedStall Data Flow.png

MarcoMauri
Active Participant

Good point!

So this idea is not declined but.... implemented!

Thanks!