LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcoMauri

Wait (ms) with error pass-through

Hi!

Maybe this has been already requested elsewhere and I'm missing it....

but it would be useful to have a Wait (ms) with connectors for error in and out.

This can help keeping the BD clean...

Marco

18613iCF039EA34765F743

60 Comments
jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

Ala OpenG?

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

altenbach
Knight of NI

We also have the "time delay" express VI. Do a "View as icon" and you're almost there. 😄

(Back in ~'96 I actually made such a delay myself to introduce small delays between GPIB calls. The icon had an image of a snail on it ;)) 

Dennis_Knutson
Knight of NI

Though I don't have it installed at the moment, the traditional DAQ palette (counter, I believe) has had the wait with error in/out function for many years.

Manzolli
Active Participant

I did myself one subVI, just like the MarcoMauri idea. Adding error terminal to the standard function will not hurt anyone and will be back compatible with existing code, so kudos!

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
Neil.Pate
Active Participant

As mentioned, OpenG...

Lots of nice open-source useful VIs there.

Its funny, on advanced NI training they are now pimping VIPM 🙂

Jim_Kring
Trusted Enthusiast

> Its funny, on advanced NI training they are now pimping VIPM 🙂

I hope that someday we can even use OpenG and VIPM during CLD exams!  I bet we'll get there.

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
  1. For completeness, would you expect an error cluster on "Wait Until Next ms Multiple", "Tick Count (ms)", and "Get Date/Time in Seconds"?
  2. My mind is blank right now, but can anyone list any functions that are guaranteed not to generate an error yet use an error cluster (in order to allow data flow enforcement)? ("Clear Errors" doesn't count!)
Neil.Pate
Active Participant

Jim, let hope!

I am still surprised the number of LV developers I speak to who have never heard of either.

CrystalTech

I sized mine to one terminal height since the error in and out are the only flow terminals required.  The "mSec to wait" and "cancel wait" is sectioned in the bottom middle.  This allows other terminals to flow from the previous VI to the next VI without having to go around the Wait VI.

rex1030
Active Participant

I have wanted this implemented for a long time. Sequence structures are frowned upon but sometimes you need to wait a bit after you do something. To accomplesh this 'dataflow enforcement'  i have even made a subvi that looks like this inside:

19439iFCF8E9754B8D9866

Somehow creating this subvi always feels necessary and pointless at the same time, like some logical conundrum. lol.

I love the openG vi's but I always fear someone would come along and try to use my code that hasn't installed the openG functions and my VIs would be broken with a mystery "?" stuck in important places 🙂

Kudos to this idea 🙂

---------------------------------
[will work for kudos]