Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim_Kring

Wait (ms) should accept floating point inputs with "units" of time

Right now, this doesn't work:

1-26-2011 2-45-25 PM.png

I have to add a Convert Units function to make it work:

1-26-2011 2-51-21 PM.png

It would be cool if the Wait (ms) function were polymorphic, accepting floating point inputs with "units" of time, and performed the unit conversion behind the scenes (and without any coercion dot).

Of course, this might require renaming the function to simply "Wait" (w/o "(ms)" qualifier).

3 Comments
Mads
Active Participant

Throw in the abort functionality of the OpenG alternative too and it begins to look complete (and the error io, but that has already been suggested here), otherwise having a single wait of much more than a fraction of a second is a bit messy.

There is one idea that has only partially been mentioned here before though, and that's to provide all this functionality with the Wait until next multiple as well. There is no OpenG alternative there, and that's a function that would benefit just as much from getting the unit support, error io - and abort functionality. NI - if the wait function is upgraded with all this then please remember the next multiple as wellSmiley Wink

CrystalTech

Any WAIT over 2 seconds is forever for any application.  NI has provided other Time functions to detect how much time has past.  This allows you to cancel out between the start and finish of the wait.  The WAIT function is unforgiving and should not be used for any long length of time.  However, I think the inclusion of the next multiple (to make it one VI selection) is a good idea, with error io too.

Jason_Harrigan

As long as there is no performance difference, this is a great idea. I think the units overall need to be cleaned up and more tightly supported.