LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MorganHero

Very simple improvement on Block diagram clean up (oh no, not again...)

Moved to CAR database: CAR 430007

This is a very simple improvement, since the features are almost there. I want the block diagrams look like an electric diagram, that is: Controls aligned to the left, with the labels on the left of the control and the indicators moved to the right with the labels on the right, like this:

Wish.png

The problem is that in current LV versions the alignments occurs on the labels as well, making look the diagrams like this:

Current.png

Normally you should: 1) align labels relative to the object and 2) align the objects (without the labels) relative to the block diagram. This kind of cleaning up saves a lot of space and clutter.

Now I am pushing my luck, but it would even be better if I could have these settings on SubVI's only, because I usually don't want this in my main.

Good luck 

6 Comments
johnsold
Knight of NI

I agree.

Currently this requires: Do Clean Up. Select all the control terminals. Do align right. Then manually adjust what it still did not get right.

At the very least an option for aligning terminals without regard (other than keeping them in the structure) to the label positions should be available.

Lynn

Jeffrey_Zola

Almost seems too simple. You've got my vote!

Jeffrey Zola
Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

Big Kudos for any simple, well-defined ideas that improve Clean Up. This one seems easy enough to implement. Align Controls on the right edge of the icon and indicators on the left edge. Disregard text.

Richard

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined
Moved to CAR database: CAR 430007
Darren
Proven Zealot

The block diagram cleanup team will investigate fixing this issue in a future LabVIEW release.

Jeff-P
NI Employee (retired)

CAR 430007 discussed in this thread was fixed in  LabVIEW 2014.  For a more complete list of bugs fixed in LabVIEW 2014, check the LabVIEW 2014 Bug Fixes. You can download an evaluation copy of LabVIEW 2014 at http://www.ni.com/trylabview/ or if you have an earlier version of LabVIEW installed and an active SSP subscription, you will be able to download the latest version of LabVIEW through NI Update Service.

Regards,

Jeff Peacock 

Product Support Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments | Certified LabVIEW Architect