LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thoric

VI Task Manager

Quite often I find myself running a new bit of code which contains an untested modal subvi somewhere in it's bowels, to find that the when called the modal subvi doesn't exit. Clearly there's a little bug in my code, but now I'm stuck. The modal vi has all the focus of LabVIEW, I can't close the vi, I can't abort the vi. Nothing is accessible, including the Project Explorer window.

Now what I need here is a LabVIEW Running VIs Task Manager, which allows me to simply scroll down a list of open and running vis, and abort the one that's stealing my focus.

It would probably have to operate outside the development environment to avoid being supressed itself, but presumably a standalone executable can link into LabVIEW through the server port and access the list of running vis with server calls.

This would save me from having to use Windows Task Manager and killing LabVIEW (and potentially any unsaved work)

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

12 Comments
falkpl
Trusted Enthusiast

This is very useful and I have a vi task manager that I use internally.  A crude one is not hard to implement

-Get all vis in memory, check state (Exe.state) of vis returned (remove the self reference) display in list.  Allow user to select one and  invoke abort vi on this reference.  I agree NI should just add this to the environment.

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
Ian_Phillips

I agree, I have had Labview hang due to a bug in my code, and no way of aborting execution apart from closing Labview.

falkpl, any chance you can post your vi task manager until NI add to Labview environment?

yenknip
Active Participant
If you want a ready made VI, check out Darren's post
Google chrome web browser does something like that with tabs. I totally agree with this idea.
muks
Proven Zealot

I wrote a really wierd code today with a lot of pop ups and was not able to abort it and worst i had many unsaved vis. Hmmmm this time ctrl (.) did help but if there was a hang then it could have been night mare....

So I am with you in asking "bring this on" 

thanks for the link yenknip

inversion

I feel for you all in this situation! Just happend to me again.

this post is also related:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Abort-all-VIs-Button-in-Taskbar-Modal-Windows-Problem/...

:. LV2010 SP1 ... W7 .:
TrevMrgn

It would be good if modal VIs were only modal with respect to other front panel VIs and that the block diagrams and project explorer were still accessible.

Silver_Shaper
Active Participant

Yes really this might be a good idea to implement

---
Silver_Shaper | CLD
fabric
Active Participant

"It would be good if modal VIs were only modal with respect to other front panel VIs and that the block diagrams and project explorer were still accessible."

That is a cool idea! Could you post it as a new idea on the Exchange?

TrevMrgn

"It would be good if modal VIs were only modal with respect to other front panel VIs and that the block diagrams and project explorer were still accessible."

That is a cool idea! Could you post it as a new idea on the Exchange?

Done. See here