NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
Thoric

VI Task Manager

by Active Participant Thoric on ‎06-04-2009 08:39 AM

Quite often I find myself running a new bit of code which contains an untested modal subvi somewhere in it's bowels, to find that the when called the modal subvi doesn't exit. Clearly there's a little bug in my code, but now I'm stuck. The modal vi has all the focus of LabVIEW, I can't close the vi, I can't abort the vi. Nothing is accessible, including the Project Explorer window.

Now what I need here is a LabVIEW Running VIs Task Manager, which allows me to simply scroll down a list of open and running vis, and abort the one that's stealing my focus.

It would probably have to operate outside the development environment to avoid being supressed itself, but presumably a standalone executable can link into LabVIEW through the server port and access the list of running vis with server calls.

This would save me from having to use Windows Task Manager and killing LabVIEW (and potentially any unsaved work)

Comments
by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎06-04-2009 10:25 AM

This is very useful and I have a vi task manager that I use internally.  A crude one is not hard to implement

-Get all vis in memory, check state (Exe.state) of vis returned (remove the self reference) display in list.  Allow user to select one and  invoke abort vi on this reference.  I agree NI should just add this to the environment.

by Member Ian_Phillips on ‎06-05-2009 04:39 AM

I agree, I have had Labview hang due to a bug in my code, and no way of aborting execution apart from closing Labview.

falkpl, any chance you can post your vi task manager until NI add to Labview environment?

by Active Participant yenknip on ‎06-05-2009 05:01 AM
If you want a ready made VI, check out Darren's post
by Member JICHFI on ‎08-20-2009 08:12 AM
Google chrome web browser does something like that with tabs. I totally agree with this idea.
by Proven Zealot on ‎08-25-2009 09:43 AM

I wrote a really wierd code today with a lot of pop ups and was not able to abort it and worst i had many unsaved vis. Hmmmm this time ctrl (.) did help but if there was a hang then it could have been night mare....

So I am with you in asking "bring this on" 

thanks for the link yenknip

by Member inversion on ‎03-03-2011 05:27 AM

I feel for you all in this situation! Just happend to me again.

this post is also related:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Abort-all-VIs-Button-in-Taskbar-Modal-Windows-Problem/...

by Member TrevMrgn on ‎08-02-2011 10:18 AM

It would be good if modal VIs were only modal with respect to other front panel VIs and that the block diagrams and project explorer were still accessible.

by Active Participant Silver_Shaper on ‎10-23-2011 07:03 AM

Yes really this might be a good idea to implement

by Active Participant fabric on ‎11-14-2012 04:24 AM

"It would be good if modal VIs were only modal with respect to other front panel VIs and that the block diagrams and project explorer were still accessible."

That is a cool idea! Could you post it as a new idea on the Exchange?

by Member TrevMrgn ‎12-03-2012 03:30 AM - edited ‎12-03-2012 03:31 AM

"It would be good if modal VIs were only modal with respect to other front panel VIs and that the block diagrams and project explorer were still accessible."

That is a cool idea! Could you post it as a new idea on the Exchange?

Done. See here

Latest LabVIEW Idea Exchange Blog Posts
About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count