LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
labview4steve

UNDO Function: Have a separate undo for the front panel & Block Diagram

Any idea that has received less than 5 kudos within 5 years after posting will be automatically declined.

My suggestion is a change to the UNDO function.

PROBLEM:

A common annoyance is when making a large number of changes to the block diagram that fundamentally alter the way a VI works and then you go to the front panel and set up a few default values before you press play. You then find that the code doesn't work anymore so you then try to undo the changes... You then find that the undo only undoes the changes to the front panel and not the code that really matters. not you have to manually recode what you had before or reload from disk (hopefully you haven't saved yet)

Solution:

My proposal is to have 2 separate undo functions - One for each edit screen ie Block diagram, and front panel.

see the diagrams below.. the shortcut keys can be differet - this is just an example and it could be implemented differently. also an icon could exist on the menu.

Block diagram UNDO.png.

Likewise for the Block Diagram

Block diagram UNDO.png

Here are some options to consider:

Method one.

The UNDO function will work differently depending whether you are in Front page view or Block Diagram view. - but the global undo functions the same as it always has.

Method 2.

Have the UNDO function work differently regardless whether you are in Front page view or Block Diagram view - but you must press the correct button on the menu or shortcut keys (ie CTRL + Z + F for front Panel or CTRL + Z + B for block diagram) or CTRL+Z for Global UNDO which will function the same as always.

Method 3.

Don't have a Global UNDO - and instead the UNDO button will only UNDO the changes on the front Panel or the Block diagram depending on what view you are currently in.

Perhaps these options could be set under "tools/options" etc - not sure what tab would be best.

I favour Method 1 or Method 2.

Note: the CTRL + Z + F for Front Panel and CTRL + Z + B for Block diagram is just a suggestion. but something similar should work...and likewise for the redo functions..

Hopefully this is clear.

Steve

Download All
2 Comments
labview4steve

I just realised that this is very similar to the this post by altenbach

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Seperate-undo-buffers-for-edit-mode-and-run-mode/idi-p...

I couldn't find it initially because he referred to runtime buffer... but I called it frontpanel...

we could perhaps combine the best of both of these points as I like his idea too!

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 5 kudos within 5 years after posting will be automatically declined.