LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blawson

Truncate Long Paths

Available in LabVIEW 2012

I don't like the way that long file paths are shown in path controls and indicators:  If the path is longer than the textbox (and it usually is!), the user only sees the first several levels that fit.  This can be pretty confusing.

One way to solve this issue is to truncate the path in the middle in such a way that the filename or last folder (which is usually what's most important) is always shown.  I've seen this in other UIs and it should be a natural thing for users to understand.

Here's an illustration:

truncate_path_ctrl.png 

I think this should be a built in feature of the path controls and indicators, accessible through right-click menus and/or the properties menu of the control at edit time.

-Barrett
CLD
16 Comments
TCPlomp
Trusted Enthusiast

Here is an XControl that does what you want.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
ReneW

The most benefit for me would be if the File Path Control would not truncate without telling me. 

This truncation was misleading me several times while I was debugging errors Smiley Mad.

For me it is not that important that the beginning AND the end is visible at the same time. But the truncation should be indicated somehow (at the middle as proposed or at the end).

Similar problems could occur with simple text boxes. Therefore I would prefer a solution for both, File Path control and Text control.

ReneW

The probleme with Text controls could be found under idea "Some indication that a string control isn't showing the entire string" too.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Just a note: The main idea only shows the front panel. Whatever we come up with, the same "path is clipped" indication should apply to the block diagram constant.

Kosta

I have seen the same problem with numbers.  I would appreciate a solution that would address those as well.

Kosta
blawson
Active Participant

Kosta,

I think what you want is my Size to fit for BD constants idea, which seeks to add "fit to text" behavior for constants on the BD (mostly ones in arrays).  This idea is more about paths too big to display in their entirety getting shown in a way that preserves the most essential information (the very beginning and the end).

-Barrett
CLD
Babel

Another nice option would be to support environment variables in paths like %tmp%.

TrevMrgn

Part of the problem is that the file name is word-truncated - giving no indication that there is more.

Character or pixel truncation would be a huge improvement.

The end key only goes to the end of the displayed path, requiring repeated end, right, end, right to find the real end.  Would be best if end moved the cursor to the end of the path.

Yamaeda
Proven Zealot

Atleast if you r-justify the indicator/control you should see the end part of the path, thus the filename. It's annoying to only see "C:\Documents and" when it's "Report110817.csv" that's the interesting part.

A Visibility option to only show filename would be in the same idea.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: In Development