LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

The minimum size of classic framless colorboxes should be two, not five

Already possible in LabVIEW today. See discussion thread for more details.

I sometimes use arrays of classic frameless colorboxes to quickly display a color table.

Unfortunately, the minimum size of these elements is 5 pixels :(, making a 256 element color ramp 1280+pixels wide, showing redundant information in 5 adacent pixel columns each.  If we display the color ramp vertically, it would not even fully fit on a common 1080p display!

This makes it too wide to correctly display them in the forum and forces a size reduction that makes all other text and diagram code illegible.

(Yes, we can right-click...open image in new tab, and click the image to display it 1:1 (in chrome), but that's more work and not everybody knows that)

It would be perfectly OK if we could make these elements only 2 pixels wide (or high), making the array display a much more reasonable 512 pixels and keeping the front panel to a more reasonable size.

Idea summary:

The minimum size of the classic colorbox (frameless) should be 2x2 pixels (or even 1x1?) Currently it is 5x5, i.e. too big.

16 Comments
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I am not so sure a 2x2 pixel object would be particularly easy to handle, let alone a 1x1.

I think your problem would be solved trivially if you used the Classic Color Ramp control (vertical, admittedly, but I don't suppose that is a killer):

Custom Color Ramp

altenbach
Knight of NI

Even a 5x5 is currently impossible to handle, because the handles (sic) are to large and there is no place to select the element. Thanks for the link. 😄

Jannis
I support Altenbach's suggestion and like to extend the idea to Boolean indicators. I'm often using Boolean arrays to display threshold levels of picture controls. Unfortunately they become rather large when indeed I only need a 1 pixel information. (Would have loved to upload a demo screen shot - doesn't work here?) Jannis
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Altenbach:

I created this for you.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-47359

-- AQ

PS: Document is awaiting moderation... I don't know how long that takes, but as soon as it happens, the link is to a 2D array with a 1x1 colorbox.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
Sorry: Wrong URL. Use this instead: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-47395
Jannis
What a great Indicator! Thanks Aristos and Matt_McLaughlin. Unfortunately I can't find the Download button.... Am I too old-school or is it really missing? Anyway, how about my interest in a similar array Indicator as Boolean?? Please? Or do I have to collect 23 Kudos in an extra idea for that? 😉
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Jannis: Download is a link, not a button, at the bottom of the post. Search for the text "(4.8 K) LabVIEW 8.0"

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

building the Boolean is not so easy -- there's chrome on the Bools that would need to be modified. More than just a few minutes of work that the color box took.

Jannis

OK, found the DownloadLink, Duhhh! But had to switch to a Linux Chromium system to be able to see the ScreenShot with the array setup again - Won't display on my Windows7 Firefox....

Neither do I get the Upload Picture button in this comment-editor on my machine. So I'm typing and uploading now on Linux...

Here's what I came up with "in just a few minutes" for Altenbach's original problem - I guess.

By looking at Matt_McLaughlin 's ColorBox Array control I noticed that it was basically doing the same as a LV Picture Control. So than, why not use the PictureControl to display Altenbach's RGB values? Just use two of the Picture Vis and you're done.

PictureControlAsColorBoxArray.png

Jannis

... and for the 1 pixel Boolean-2DArray it's up for another Idea Exchange!