LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

The icons of the model templates should have real text.

Available in LabVIEW 2013

The provided model templates (fitting, optimization, etc. listed here) have the ancient icon style where the text is actually merged into the single layer of the icon.

Since in the typical scenario the text will be immediately changed to reflect the actual customized model name, it would be reasonable if these icons would have the current text editable in the icon editor instead. Currently, we need to erase the icon background before we can start typing or we get a mess.

For example, in the nonlinear fit model, the text "curve|fit|model" should be in the text tab, and not contained in the icon background (see image).

Suggestion: the model template icons should be blank and the current text should be pre-filled, but editable on the text tab of the icon editor.

10 Comments
JÞB
Knight of NI

Kudos but, I think this could go a bit farther  When you create a project from template Icon layers can be manipulated as the scripting happens.  These VI templates could use a simillar method to do editing to the icon.  Any new... from template could probably use an optional icon edit page at creation. Really, its just an additional application of a new feature.  Or did I miss something implementing the project template features?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Yamaeda
Proven Zealot

Logical and good idea, which reminds me of the text issue. I'll make another post.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

JÞB
Knight of NI

Darn it Darren!

Yes, that is exactly the type of post response speed all of us want to see to idea exchange Ideas that are drop-dead no-brainers.  In Development!  Massively wonderful, even better than "CAR xxxxx Assigned" (My code review notes would have included the "icon does not use text as text" hitSmiley Mad)

But, I am grumping because there are two proposed methods to implement the idea:

A- Edit the icons of the VIT

B- Enable icon editing of the VIT

One (A) is a two man-hour task, The (B) option might take Ten man-hours while that same intern figures out the format of some file named MetaData.xml.  Adding the ability to select the icon template (from "My Templates" of course) might take just a bit longer............ Or is that a seperate Idea?  " Select Icon Template" versus the default icon template.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Intaris
Proven Zealot

Jeff, Jeff.  Calm down.

Here.

Jokelnice
Active Participant

I have always believed that icons can be seen better.

Ing. Jonathan E. Cruz Ortiz

ENERGÍA PROACTIVA S.A.S

Cel : (+57) 3173669343 - (+57) 3124451894

Ray.R
Knight of NI

I was just thinking about this yesterday!  I'm creating many objects, where I edit one line, and it's a pain!!  This would be so much better!  

I don't use the layer labels anyway.  So converting them to text area would be great!

Another request>...  Make the pixels half the size so that the icons look better.  All the screens are HD now, so why not make use of it??!!!??

Shane:  Nice coffee cup! 

Oh,,  kudos for this fantastic idea!

P@Anand
Trusted Enthusiast

I would not straightaway have the text editable for the templates. In most of my project code I use a common name at the Top and then depending on the function I would name each sub VI. In this case when I type in the text it get automatically appended without disturbing the common name that I assign at the top. So I would need additional check option to edit the text of the Template.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Beta

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed
Available in LabVIEW 2013