LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

The ability to add and remove plots from the properties page

After placing a new graph, we might want to go to the plot properties dialog and change the color, label, etc. of the plots we want.

Bzzzt. No go! We can only edit plots that have been added in some other way. (by resizing the plot legend, wiring and running once with data representing several plots, etc.)

For comparison, have a look at the cursor tab. Here we can add and remove cursors at will.

My suggestion is to add the ability to add or remove plots on the plots tab properties page of graphs and charts.

It could look like in the image on the left.

12 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

In addition, a removed plot would revert to the system default. It should be possible ro remove all plots, which would simply remove any customization from the plots and a graph would look as if was dropped freshly from the palette.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Why bother wasting time setting the properties of a control on the BD when you can have an initialization subVI do the job and overwrite any modifications done willingly or not in the past?

altenbach
Knight of NI

Well, if you have unlimited time and resources, you can write an initialization subVI every time you place a graph. 😮

In my case I placed a graph and I know I needed three plots: One with points, and two with lines of different color and line width. After placing the graph from the palette, I wanted to immediately setup these three plot properties. This dialog is much faster than constantly clicking on the legend and do one property at a time. I was surprised that I can only modify one default plot and there was no way to add more without first exiting the properties dialog and jumping through some flaming hoops. 😉 That should not be necessary.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I am not trying to be clever, just wanting to learn...

BTW, this idea appears to have been suggested in the past already (see comment 1)

altenbach
Knight of NI

Non of these ideas mention adding a new plot. They just deal with deleting... 😉

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Ooops. Some people lack follow up mentality... and others can't read correctly.

altenbach
Knight of NI

> Ooops. Some people lack follow up mentality... and others can't read correctly.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. Is this related to the idea discussion in some way?

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

1) The guy indeed stopped at proposing a "remove plot" button. Logically, he should have proposed an "add plot" button.

2) I should have not extrapolated based on a diagonal sampling of his comment.

MrBow

I have no idea why this isn't a thing...

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I just encountered a case where that feature would have been a bit of a time saver...

Got my vote.