NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
altenbach

The ability to add and remove plots from the properties page

by Knight of NI ‎04-06-2012 01:51 PM - edited ‎04-06-2012 01:51 PM

After placing a new graph, we might want to go to the plot properties dialog and change the color, label, etc. of the plots we want.

Bzzzt. No go! We can only edit plots that have been added in some other way. (by resizing the plot legend, wiring and running once with data representing several plots, etc.)

For comparison, have a look at the cursor tab. Here we can add and remove cursors at will.

My suggestion is to add the ability to add or remove plots on the plots tab properties page of graphs and charts.

It could look like in the image on the left.

Comments
by Knight of NI on ‎04-07-2012 11:22 AM

In addition, a removed plot would revert to the system default. It should be possible ro remove all plots, which would simply remove any customization from the plots and a graph would look as if was dropped freshly from the palette.

by Active Participant X. on ‎04-07-2012 12:05 PM

Why bother wasting time setting the properties of a control on the BD when you can have an initialization subVI do the job and overwrite any modifications done willingly or not in the past?

by Knight of NI on ‎04-07-2012 12:32 PM

Well, if you have unlimited time and resources, you can write an initialization subVI every time you place a graph. :smileysurprised:

In my case I placed a graph and I know I needed three plots: One with points, and two with lines of different color and line width. After placing the graph from the palette, I wanted to immediately setup these three plot properties. This dialog is much faster than constantly clicking on the legend and do one property at a time. I was surprised that I can only modify one default plot and there was no way to add more without first exiting the properties dialog and jumping through some flaming hoops. :smileywink: That should not be necessary.

by Active Participant X. ‎04-07-2012 02:52 PM - edited ‎04-07-2012 02:52 PM

I am not trying to be clever, just wanting to learn...

BTW, this idea appears to have been suggested in the past already (see comment 1)

by Knight of NI on ‎04-07-2012 06:53 PM

Non of these ideas mention adding a new plot. They just deal with deleting... :smileywink:

by Active Participant X. on ‎04-08-2012 10:12 PM

Ooops. Some people lack follow up mentality... and others can't read correctly.

by Knight of NI on ‎04-09-2012 01:39 AM

> Ooops. Some people lack follow up mentality... and others can't read correctly.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. Is this related to the idea discussion in some way?

by Active Participant X. on ‎04-09-2012 10:12 AM

1) The guy indeed stopped at proposing a "remove plot" button. Logically, he should have proposed an "add plot" button.

2) I should have not extrapolated based on a diagonal sampling of his comment.

by Member MrBow on ‎07-21-2014 12:58 AM

I have no idea why this isn't a thing...

by Active Participant X. on ‎09-01-2014 09:28 AM

I just encountered a case where that feature would have been a bit of a time saver...

Got my vote.

Latest LabVIEW Idea Exchange Blog Posts
About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count