LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

System Containers

As already mentioned here long ago, there is a need for system containers.

Most of my front panel uses system controls/indicators and I often use arrays and clusters. The currently available containers (modern, classic) simply don't match the overall system style.

The system palette needs a "System Array, Matrix & Cluster" sub palette.

A quote from my old comment says it all:

For example, there is no "system" array container (with a correctly colored frame and a system spin control as index control) or "system" cluster container (could look similar to the system radio button control).

9 Comments
elset191
Active Participant

In the meantime, for those not in know, check these out.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
CrystalTech

I agree, and as I've stated many times.  The whole FP need a major overhaul.  The FP is a design from 1985 (which was great at the time) and has been tweeked here and there.  The year is 2010 and NI still insists on losing market share by maintaining the old look and very limited features.  Pertaining to technology, 25 years is like 100 years in real time.  So what's wrong with my Model T?  Nothing wrong, in 1910.

altenbach
Knight of NI

> In the meantime, for those not in know, check these out.

Thanks, they look great!

Historically, that "LabVIEW look" made sense, just for brand recognition. You see an episode on TV or some instrument controller software at a tradeshow, and it takes 100ms before you say "Aha! LabVIEW!".

I think we need to get away from all this. Even if it looks completely different we can now assume that LabVIEW is used in these instances ;).

Even during the NI Week keynotes, virtually all FP that were shown were barely (or not at all!) recognizable as native LabVIEW. Maybe the entire FP tool set needs a major overhaul!

Mads
Active Participant

That's one of my concerns these days; there is too much focus on incremental changes, and it keeps us from getting from the above mentioned 1985...to 2010.

NI should step back and see the *trend* among all the ideas here. It shows that a bigger leap forward is due, especially on the GUI side. The product should stay ahead of the user's expectations and ideas...not behind as much as it has been doing for many years.

(I love LabVIEW...so do not misunderstand me here.... 🙂 )

Dennis_Knutson
Knight of NI

I've been using Simon's controls in 2009 and just need a few spare minutes to install them in 2010. Huge improvement. I just want to see more.

smmarlow

While they are it, NI might add a "Border" option to the Cluster and Array controls and allow the user to select from amongst the rectangular border objects that are currently part of the Decorations palette on all three control style palettes (Modern, System, and Classic.  I have been coloring cluster borders transparent for years, and adding a rectangular decoration to the cluster behind the elements to get a "different" cluster border.

smmarlow

NI should make it easier to create custom controls, perhaps even moving to SVG support to make it easier to create vector-based controls outside the LV environment, or maybe even offer a control editor program.  This would open to power of the market for development of 3rd party control sets that are tailored to different task (industrial control, info kiosks, RT FP's for web embedding, etc.)

Ray.R
Knight of NI

Excellent suggestion Altenbach.

And thanks to Simon for sharing.

I have had a client who wanted a look that was different from LabVIEW's typical look..

Ray.R
Knight of NI

--- ran out of time for editing ---

I also want to write code that looks modern and not a "Blast from the Past".  That's why at one point I was interested in custom controls creation where tst had posted some interesting control and indicators.  However, it may not be practical to design those objects from scratch when time is of essence. 

And regardless of the amount of time it would take to do custom front panel objects, it is high time to modernize the look (front panel) of LabVIEW with the more modern trends.

R