From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Spaz

Synch the display of the Time Stamp Control's 'Set Time and Date' dialog to the defined 'Display Format..' at runtime

Most of the requested features are available in LabVIEW 2016 and later. See the idea discussion thread for more details.

Recently I have been coding for some general apps that do not include any instrumentation.  I've become frustrated by the Time Stamp control's resulting dialog when the Time/Date Browse button's  is clicked.  (I don't caret to use Microsoft .net controls)  I do want the user's entry limited to the format that is displayed in the control.  I don't want to confuse the user's by displaying a certain format in the control then imposing, or allowing, another format in the resultant dialog even if it isn't displayed that way in the control after the dialog is closed.

Also, the dialog itself could use some aesthetic improvements.  If the control is a 'Silver' control then popup a dialog containing 'Silver' controls, et al.

Illustrative examples:

If the Time Stamp control's Display Format is set as 24-hour time, have the time field in the dialog display 24-hour time.

If the Time Stamp control's Display Format does not define any decimal precision of seconds, do not display decimal precision of seconds in the time field in the dialog display.

If the Time Stamp control's Display Format does not define any seconds, do not display seconds in the time field of  the 'Set Time/Date' dialog.

If the Time Stamp control's Display Format does not define any time format, do not display any time field in the dialog. I suggest a default value of '00:00:00' for the time component of the time stamp when no time is defined in the Display Format.

If the Time Stamp control's Display Format does not define any date format, do not display the calendar/month/year in the dialog.  I suggest a default date of 1/1/1904 for the date component of the time stamp when no date is defined in the Display Format.

5 Comments
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Which version are you using? The first 3 "features" (or lack thereof) you are bringing up do not seem to exist in my version of LV 2016 64 bits.

Spaz

CORRECT!

I was using 2015 as this was a front end UI that combined several processes written in 2015, but I just checked it in 2016 32-bit and you're right  Those features have been implemented and they are the most critical for user input. The last 2 are mainly aesthetics.

Never even dawned on me that I wasn't using the latest/greatest version.  <<Blush>> (No red-faced emoticon available)

Just be careful of what you wish for, you might already have it... 

Thanx

Darren
Proven Zealot

Spaz, are you ok if I close this idea as Already Implemented, or would you prefer I leave it open?

Spaz

OK to close.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Already Implemented

Most of the requested features are available in LabVIEW 2016 and later. See the idea discussion thread for more details.