Did you mean: 
Andrey_Dmitriev

Swap T / F Terminals in Select Function

Sometimes I need Select function with "Swapped" T / F Terminals,

like this:

FT.png

I need this, because sometimes it caused the following constructions:

TF.png

Its will be very nice if both functions will be available.

Andrey

PS 

Sorry, if this idea was already submitted (haven't found yet)

11 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Fundamentally, I like the ability of being able to swap! But the problem with this implementation is just a few pixels' difference. You cannot glance at a diagram and understand it without squinting at each of the Select primitives. Any clever suggestions on a way to get F on top? How about the ability to invert the case selector terminal?
Andrey_Dmitriev
Active Participant

I see no problems, if just icon will be changed. In general True / False are "same weight" things. Compare with Upper / Lower limit in coerce function - they should be arranged to top and bottom respectively. Also if it will be possible to swap through context menu, then it will give us source fro possible programming bugs/ Therefore in ideal case it should be two functions available in the palette.

So, it may be also solution like this:

TF_1.png

Disadvantage - you will see input connected to true, but due to inversion, the false will be taken (some user can be frustrated)

Also icon can be slightly redesigned:

TF_1_1.png

Or with color coding:

TF_1-2.png

(but this also not ideal, because classical False constant also green)

crelf
Trusted Enthusiast
How about a simple "Invert" circle on the Boolean input?

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
I share Dunaway's concerns. The other suggestions are interesting, but nothing is more distinctive than wiring position. I think its better to drop a Not primitive on your diagram before your selection node and wire straight in. If you're worried about the performance impact of that Not, I'll add it to the list of compiler optimizations that LV could implement.
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI
While we're at it, I would like it if the switcheroo tool worked on this primitive. Surprisingly frequently I find myself in a situation where I want to swap the inputs and instinctively try the switcheroo trick, only to be disappointed that it doesn't work.

tst: Good idea. Add that as a separate Idea Exchange entry.
RavensFan
Knight of NI
Thanks, Tst.  There have been several times where I've wanted to do the switcheroo and will kudo that idea.  I can't agree with the original idea that Andrey has posted.
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

The new idea is here.

Having the option to have True at the bottom means that whoever is reading the code will have to look real carefully to see where the true case is because the two options look very similar.  The colored True and False is a bit more obvious.
S G
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
Pie566942.0

Please give me the bubble, as with the compound arithmetic node.

2013-09-30_153921.jpg2013-09-30_154017.jpg

Thanks,

Steve K