LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
WillyWad

Support for International or Custom Delimiters in File Paths

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

It would be beneficial to have the ability to specify what delimiters you can use with the Build Path function and other File I/O functions in LabVIEW. Other countries sometimes use characters other than the backslash "\" as delimiters. For example, in Japan, the yen symbol "¥" is sometimes used. (See attachment for a specific example.)

Some LabVIEW functions, such as Spreadsheet String To Array, already have the functionality to specify delimiters. It would be great for versatility if this could be provided for all File I/O functions.

4 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I have never heard of that aspect of localization.

I will add it to the backlog of things to research. It may be that someone else at NI already has this on radar, but I haven't seen it.

Speaking strictly for myself: wow, that sounds daunting. I can't imagine the sheer effort involved in that. There are simply too many places in 30+ years of code where slashes are hardcoded. Trying to worry about yet another character that needs to be escaped? Wow.

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Are you sure it is a Yen character?  Could it be a backslash that is encoded in a different character set and is thus showing up as a Yen rather than a backslash?

intvsteve
NI Employee (retired)

There is a long history behind this, but in the case of the Yen (Japanese) and Won (Korean), it's a mixutre of encoding and font. You can find some information and links toward the end of this page: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd317748(v=vs.85).aspx

intvsteve
LabVIEW R&D
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.