LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Intaris

Stop losing track of the mouse after leaving the FP

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Here's a problem a lot of people have encountered.

You want to implement a nice UI and decide to do some fancy UI programming with mouse actions being linked to certaina ctions on the FP.  Nice and fancy until the mouse cursor leaves the bounds of the front panel.  If I have a mouse action on the FP requiring me to hold the mouse button down and I then move out of the FP and release the button, LV does NOT realise that the mouse button has been released and the code int he FP still reacts to the currently un-pressed mouse button.

This is annoying and has been around for longer than I can remember.  I recall hearing that the proper implementation is not trivial, but there must be some way around this.  Please?

Shane

3 Comments
Don_Phillips
NI Employee (retired)

Since LabVIEW will not handle events outside of the front panel, you would need to leverage the Windows API and hard code it.

Here is a starting point.

MouseAPI.png

Intaris
Proven Zealot

While this may be a workaround on Windows, it makes it not portable.  It won't work on Linux or Mac.

I believe strongly this kind of functionality belongs within LabVIEW.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.