LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elio_Lüthi

Step into subVI Highlight Execution option

An add-on to the highlight execution that makes the highlight execution go into the subVIs and keeps doing highlight execution in the subVI

5 Comments
P@Anand
Trusted Enthusiast

Highlight execution works only when the VI BD is open. What do you want to achieve by doing that?

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I suppose he means open up the BD and continue the execution there with highlight.

I prefer not to think about the chaos that would result from multiple subVIs popping up at random locations and spawning their own subVIs in highlighted execution modes.

Could be fun actually, as a game: try to pause the execution of all these subVIs.

elset191
Active Participant

I would not mind having the option to turn on highlighting as I Step Into a VI using the debugging tools.  That's the impression I get from the title. 

The body of the post and the subsequent comments describe that every VI that gets highlighted then opens and highlights its own execution.  That is probably not a very good idea.

Edit:  As I was writing that I was forgetting how single stepping works.  It opens the subVI as if it had a breakpoint on it.  It is trivially simple to turn on highlight execution at this point.  Especially since the button is adjacent to the unpause button.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Elio_Lüthi

I think to open up the BD and continue the execution there with highlight is useful for some cases, for instance when you have a few VIs executing one after the other. When the execution of a VI is finished the subVI windows may be automatically closed again. Obviously in a huge and messy VI, you probably wouldn’t wonna use this feature.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I kind of like this idea. It's a novel suggestion I've not heard before. Kudos.

(Note: I agree with some of the comments about ways this could go wrong, but I think it is an idea worth exploration.)