LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Henrik_Volkers

Statusbar for programs

Now I come up with a thing I requested 2003....

I would like have a statusbar for some UI. This line attached to bottom of the window, to show up status informations no matter where the user scrolled the frontpanel.

The picture should give a coarse impression (I didn't invest a lot time in editing the picture....)

Statusbar for programs.png

I think it can already be done with activeX , a bad workaround is moving some indicators with properties (performance with overlayed indicators and flicker)

Currently you only have the titelbar...

I would like to show things like current test runtime, active comports, warnings etc...

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

10 Comments
Mads
Active Participant

With splitter bars you can get very close to the real deal....

I agree with you though that it would be nice to have full support for this, but in case you want to get something very similar today try the splitter bars feature...

Here is how it looks when made to look like like your example:

statusbar.PNG

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

To add to what Mads posted, you can enable scrollbars for a single pane, so the pane above the splitter bar could have scrollbars, thus making it just like the image you posted.

Henrik_Volkers
Trusted Enthusiast

Mads, Aristos,

Thank you for the workaround

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Henrik: I think of this as a bit more than a workaround... I'd like to close this idea as "complete". Specialized sections like this are exactly what splitterbars and panes were designed to solve, and I don't think the status region as you've drawn it is so common that we would want to build a specific feature into LabVIEW in order to support it. In other words, you can build the section that you're wanting to build, and I don't think we need to develop new tools to solve this problem.

Would you object if this idea is closed as "Complete"?

Henrik_Volkers
Trusted Enthusiast

Aristos Queue on 2010-11-16 04:21 PM:

Would you object if this idea is closed as "Complete"?

YES 🙂

At first I thought it would be nice to have it as a window realated thing.

Must be some of the new stuff... somebody seen my 3.1 installation disks??? 😉 😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

Mads
Active Participant

Even though splitter bars can get you close, it still does not look exactly like a status bar in other applications, so if you asked me I would keep the idea open.

One idea that could get us closer though would be this. 

Mads
Active Participant

An API for status bars could also make things much easier than working with splitter bars...

You could have a function that just took an arry of strings and/or a section size (or autosize...) array input - and the status bar would appear at run-time without any need to create numerous splitter bars, adjusting all their necessary properties (correct bar size, resizing behaviour, scroll bars etc. etc...).

The list of actions needed to create the example I made e.g. is very long...it should have been possible to do in a flash (perhaps also an idea for a VI script though!:-) ).

GregSands
Active Participant

I wonder whether an XControl would be able to provide what Mads is asking for, instead of a whole new API?

Ravi_Beniwal

XControl does work great for status bar. Here is an image of one that I created.

Status Bar

I created five sections for the status bar as panes in the XControl facad. You can set the section widths and text through property nodes. I also threw in a progress bar while I was at it. You can show/hide it and update prgress through property nodes.

GregSands
Active Participant

Ravi - are you able to provide a link to your status bar XControl for use in the interim?