From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manu.NET

Stacked case structure ... C like switch ...

Hello,

It would be nice to be abble to view a case structure in Stacked mode.

This stacked structure would have one common input for the case selector.

All input wire will be automotically duplicated for each case ... and the same for outputs. (Automatic merge)

This could be a way to have a direct view to a "little" case structure ... something like a C like switch !

I would like to have a select  Select.png ... but with multiple cases ...

This could have a look like this ... ( You will certainly create it smater than my example !!! )

StackedCaseStructure.png

Manu.net

Manu.net
6 Comments
A-T-R

I like the idea behind the idea...but how could this be implemented? What is a "little"  case structure? Where to set the limits? Anyway... this deserves at least 0.5 * Kudos...and will therefore be rounded up!

manu.NET
Active Participant

Hello A:T:R:,

I know that the implementation will not be easy ... how to view the input and output wire in a user friendly manner ? ... 

Those days i am coding in dotnet, and i re appreciate the switch structure ... that's the origin of this idea.

I think such a stacked structure is only usable in case of 3 or 4 cases ...

The size of the structure should not be too big (I hate 2D  multi pages front panels ... and my screen resolution is limited)

Manu.net

Manu.net
SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

I am not sure I understand. The select function is a two input multiplexer. If you want more inputs this is a duplicate: see a growable multiplexer

But what confuses me is that you seem to want code in it. You cannot have code inside the select node just as you would not in a growable version.

But I think what you want is to see all cases at the same time. Something like this?

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
johnsold
Knight of NI

I am not sure how much I like this idea. Certainly displaying multiple cases beside or above each other creates problems with the wiring.

Perhaps an option would be to have pop-up windows showing each case along with a bit of the external wiring? The windows could be resized, moved, or closed to allow the user to customize the display. The code in the windows could not be edited, but double clicking would go to that case in the "real" block diagram.  Some way to close all of the pop-up windows with one click should also be considered.

Lynn

srdfrn
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Duplicate