LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

Space constant redesign

Implemented in LabVIEW 2014

Currently, the space constant looks very similar to an underline character, possibly causing confusion.

I think the icon could be made a bit more distinctive. Here are some alternatives I just made up. I would probably prefer (1) but I am open to any other suggestions. 😄

25 Comments
Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

My suggestion: Get rid of that sucker (sort of).  That is just a VI masquarading as a constant.  If I can not put it into an array constant then stop calling it a constant! 

Change the underlying VI to place contents and drop a real string constant with a space which is set to \ display with the nice glyph showing the display style as well.

GuenterMueller
Active Participant

I really like Ben's idea.

Darin:  You "\s" idea is great and I used it as long as we had no space constant.  But I have seen that much(!) of code where it was hard to distinguish whether an empty string or a space (normal display of course) was used that I really appreciate a top-notch design of the space constant.

altenbach
Knight of NI

> I really like Ben's idea.

Can you show a link to Ben's idea you are talking about?

GuenterMueller
Active Participant

Sorry, sorry and sorry, Christian.   It's been a hard day.

Your post convinced that I have to finish for today.

altenbach
Knight of NI

Hey, no problem! I am never sure if I should be flattered or offended when being mistaken for Ben. 😄

crossrulz
Knight of NI

I like option 1 the most.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Intaris
Proven Zealot

Yup, option 1 for me too.

altenbach
Knight of NI

I actually would narrow the glyph in (1) by one pixel on each side, making it the same width as the current line. Cosmetics.... 😉

Yamaeda
Proven Zealot

#1, it's most similar to correctional text.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Intaris
Proven Zealot

<Physics mode>

But since Space is ever-expanding, how can we even have a constant!?

</Physics Mode>