LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregSands

Smart(er) automatic label names on copy

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

When copying a control/indicator/constant, the new label name is generated automatically by incrementing a trailing number, or adding one if it didn't exist.  I almost never keep the suggested label (so this would also be useful), but I do have other predictable changes that will usually be made.  Most commonly, it will be to "auto-increment" a lone letter, either at the start or end of the label.  For example:

"X Axis" -> "Y Axis" and then "Z axis"

"e_a" -> "e_b", "e_c", ...

My suggestion is for a simple smart algorithm to recognise where there is a single letter (defined by either punctuation or spaces) at either end of the existing label, and if so, to increment that letter rather than add a number.  The existence of a trailing number should take preference over this check, and could still be added if one doesn't already exist (though see here).

3 Comments
johnsold
Knight of NI

I think this might be worth some thought.  Your second example, though, points to one of the difficulties.  How would the system know whether you wanted "e_a" -> "e_b", "e_c", ... or "e_a" -> "f_a", "g_a", ... ?

However, if configuring it requires more work than just editing the labels, It is probably not a good idea.

Lynn

GregSands
Active Participant

Lynn -- Smiley Surprised  You're right, that's a poor example, and not easy to make LabVIEW read my mind.  My thought was that it would be a zero-configuration enhancement, just adding a couple more rules to the numeric one already there (which we can't configure).  If this idea gets any support, then there could be discussion on what the rules would be.  My suggestion:

1. If a trailing number already exists, increment by one

2. Else, if a lone trailing letter exists (and not Z), change to next letter

3. Else, if a lone leading letter exists (and not Z), change to next letter

4. Else add the number "2"

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.