LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eric.atherton

Skip to step during Highlight Execution

Any idea that has received less than 8 kudos within 8 years after posting will be automatically declined.

TestStand allows you to jump around sequences while paused, LabVIEW should allow you to do the same.  While paused in Highlight Execution in LabVIEW, when you right-click on a subVI, it should allow you to skip to this portion of the code, and when resumed, it will execute that code next.

HighlightExecutionJump.png

4 Comments
Knight of NI

Your request is based on a presumption that you are dealing with a linear flow of execution. LabVIEW does not execute code that way. It's not Visual Studio. It's dataflow programming. Nodes execute when data is available. Yes, you can use wires like you did above to force a text-based programming-like behavior, but it's still dataflow programming. In the example you showed, which executes first? The reading of the loop iteration or the reading of the Boolean? Or, if you had another string conversion in there that was converting some other number and you were concatenating those two strings, then which string conversion executes first? Answer: you don't know, and it's actually irrelevant.

Thus, I don't really see how this idea can fit into the philosphy of LabVIEW programming.

altenbach
Knight of NI

A better ideas along these lines:

User defined partial Highlight Execution (See also the two links in my comment)

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 8 kudos within 8 years after posting will be automatically declined.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

I think the new execution highlighting probes cover this?

Maybe even enough to mark as "completed", in stead of "declined"?