From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimGFellows

Silver buttons

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.

The silver controls are great but we need a couple more buttons:

• An Exit button - perhaps with a graphic of a door on it
  • A Delete button - perhaps with a graphic of a trash can on it.

Any others that any readers can think of?

9 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Supporting all the possible images that users might want is infeasible for us to keep up with. The glyphs on the buttons are completely replaceable by you. Edit them in the control editor (use the tweezers button in the button bar to edit parts of a control).

TimGFellows

Hi Aristos.  Obviously there are lot of buttons on the palette already, so maybe I should not have asked others for suggestions!

The <Exit> button would be used a lot because it is needed on the top level screen of all applications and often in subscreens as well.  Even <Delete> would (IMHO) be more common than at least half the buttons in the palette (for deleting rows in tables, listboxes and tee controls).

I did actually create graphics for a <Delete> button and a <Rename> button recently.  They were passable, but it is hard to replicate the subtle colour variations in the other buttons.  (I had <Add> and <Remove> buttons nearby so wanted the colour scheme to match as much as possible.)  If you have a group of buttons together and some have graphics while others don't, it looks a bit weird.   By the way, I gave up on an <Exit> graphic and used a button without a graphic instead.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

You'll note that we did not Decline this idea. It's still open -- if there are enough requests for icons, we'll look into adding them.

As for graphics matching -- I don't know if there's much to be done about that... I suppose NI could selling the services of our in-house graphic artists for specific iconography requests. That's about the only idea I can think of for that.

drjdpowell
Trusted Enthusiast

Would it be possible to tie easy selection of the button glyphs to the glyphs in the Icon editor in some way?  So one could easily select from a large selection of glyphs without requiring a long list of custom buttons.  There are already multiple "delete, "exit", and "rename" glyphs.

Manzolli
Active Participant

Like drjdpowell idea!

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
JÞB
Knight of NI

OpenG Has most of the buttons you are asking for

Capture.PNG

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
nanocyte
Active Participant
I could use a "connect" button right now. I feel like adding buttons is low effort, high productivity as most coders don't want to spend time making buttons. Here's a request for a "power" button that was fulfilled and a good tip for an icon library. http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Add-quot-power-quot-button-to-Silver-controls/idi-p/19... I've wanted "undo" in the past.
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Maybe something like this can help you - https://lavag.org/topic/11741-cr-ui-tools-addon-control-class/

Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.