LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crelf

Show which control/indicator nodes on the BD are associated with events

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I'd like to see the BD node be slightly different (say, a glyph) when it's associated with an event.

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
3 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Just to be clear:

You want some glyph on the FP Terminal of a control when an event structure somewhere is registered for a static event on that control. 

Thoughts...

A) For many controls, the FPTerminal is located inside the event structure itself. Indeed, things like buttons it is pretty much required that they be inside the event structure to behave correctly. Having a glyph on it there would be mostly useless since  the only time you'd see it is when you're in that case already.

B) If you want a glyph for statically registered event, do you also want a glyph for any control that has a static control reference since those might be used to create dynamic event registration?

C) What's the goal of this glyph? Is it to say "don't delete me, an event uses me"? Or is there something more subtle that you need to know about?

D) In leiu of a glyph, would  it be better to add to the Find menu an entry for "Find Statically Registered Event Cases"? Since that's where you already go to see if a control has a reference or a property node or local variable, it seems like a reasonable place to add this also without adding additional info to the FPTerminal. That would be findable from the front panel, too.

Response?

Lavezza
Active Participant

AQ,

For the record, I'm not sure I'd want a glyph. Here are some of my thoughts:

A) This is true for Value Change, but you may have a lot of other events for a control (Mouse Enter, etc.), esp. if you are doing a lot of fancy GUI stuff

B) See comment for D

C) I'd like to know what events are going to be triggered for a certain control.

D) I like this idea. Ideally, I'd like to be able to find all event cases that might fire do to a particular control. Obviously Dynamic events could make this impossible. If I could get a list of Static Events that would be cool. Links to static refs and any dynamic event registration nodes that have access to that ref would be nice too.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.