From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manu.NET

Show warnings if a project uses misplaced VI's ...

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Hello,

When you have to work with multiple LabVIEW projects at the same time, you may point to a VI of the second project, or save a VI in the other project ... This occurs frequently when you have to work with a project template which you have to duplicate !

The problem is that your project works fine ! But you point on misplaced VI's !

The problem will only be seen when you have to give the project to someone else, or 2 or 3 year after the project completion, when you want to made some updates. And then AIE ! A VI is missing ! Smiley Mad

It should be nice to generate an "Optional"  warning (Popup), when any user action (save, insert VI on front panel ... ) handles with a VI not located under the project path. 

This visual warning could be interresting to avoid this kind of error.

Manu.net

Manu.net
3 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

What would we warn about? It's plenty common for a project to reference files that are not underneath its local directory. I certainly wouldn't want a warning about that every time I opened a project that used one of my shared classes.

What about looking at the Files view of your project tree? (On the project window, hit ctrl+E.) You can see whether you're pointing to the files that you expect fairly easily.

LuI
Active Participant
Active Participant

Manu,

had very similar problems back in times of LabVIEW 7.1.1. I made a tool that helps to find and fix those cross-links. AFAIR it opens a VI and its hierarchy and checks where are all those components are loaded from (...linked to). These storage positions are classified into 'local files' (in same path as opened VI), 'library files' (in vi.lib, instr.lib and ui.lib), 'strange ones' and 'local copies of library files'. The last ones are offered to rename appending a '.bak', which would cause a relink to the library files at next opening.

This little tool was not that hard to do; it might take some time to process large projects and large libraries, however.

Greetings from Germany!
--
Uwe

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.