LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smmarlow

Show the Representation of numerics in tip strips for terminals and wires.

Use a modifier key (shift or some similar) when floating over SubVI terminals and wires to see a tip strip with the data type (at least numeric Representation). 

22811i64136F3911BC6364

9 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

If you use Context Help (toggle visibility of this window with CTRL+H), the datatype can be seen by hovering over a wire.

smmarlow

I don't always have the Context Help showing.

smmarlow

Looking at the Context Help window forces the user to divert attention away from the section of the diagram upon which he or she is currently focusing, and requires two CTRL+H operations to toggle.  It does provide complete information on all datatypes, which will always be there, but it is slower than a modified tip strip.  For instance, for a numeric scalar or array wire, I have found that a right-click>Create Indicator + quick look + Ctrl-Z is faster than the Context Help Window.

RavensFan
Knight of NI

I think the tip strip will just create more clutter.  I really don't see why you'd have that much issue with the Context Help windows "diverting attention away" or how all of those mouse clicks and keyboard clicks is any faster than glancing at the context help window.

Context help is the proper location for looking for more detailed information about any object.

smmarlow

@Ravens Fan.  I guess you didn't read my post stating that I don't always have the context help window open.  In fact for me, most of the time it is closed, which is how I prefer it.  How can the modified tip strip be more clutter if it is already there to begin with, or if is not showing (shift key is required to see it)? And how is pressing the shift key (ONE keypress) less efficient than TWO Ctrl-H operations (FOUR keypresses)? 

You don't see how I would have an issue with the Help window diverting my attention, because you are not me. The main reason I don't use the context help window, except as a last resort, is because I consider it to be annoying.  If you leave it open, it will eventually obscure something you need to see, so then you either need to hide it, or move it.  It is also not where I am currently looking when I realize I need more info.  Today's monitors are large, and I consider looking at what I am doing to be important.

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I think you'll find that most of the expert users do have context help on, keep it small, and put it out of the way to the side of the monitor.  You'll often see them telling the new user's to turn on context Help.

The modified tip strip would be more clutter because it shows up right where you are trying to find that tiny wire with a tiny spool of wire in what could be a very congested area of the diagram.  It would annoy the hell out of me to constantly have a tip strip appearing and disappearing right at my point of interest which is the tip of whatever cursor is showing at that time.

Meanwhile, the context help window is always on and out to the side, and I know where to glance my eyes if I want to look at it.  And as you said yourself, today's monitors are large, so that means there is a lot more screen real estate where you can keep the help window off to the side.  I consider what I am looking at to be important too, and that would be right where my cursor is.  Unfortunately, your arguments seem to contradict what you are trying to say.

smmarlow

@ Ravens Fan.  I've been programming in LabVIEW since 1994.  As for experts agreeing on the context help window, please refer to this article.

The tip strip would not appear when floating on wires unless the user is holding down on the modifier key (shift, maybe).  That's what I said in the original post.  As for floating over terminals of subVI's, the tip strip is there anyway.  Only the content woudl change when the shift key is depressed.

There is no contradiction.  I prefer not to shift my focus, which is even further when using a large monitor.

RavensFan
Knight of NI

As I said, we'll have to agree to disagree.  I feel there is no need to add more clutter around the cursor.

If it requires a modifier in order to show, that won't be bad.  And you are correct about the tip strips on terminals.

Just out of curiosity, where is context help mentioned in the article you linked to?

mcmaxer

As from LV2010 the tip strip for wires are reserved wire labels .. but the representation could of course also be shown. How big would the tip strip for an advanced cluster structure be, though? I often have to shut down the content help window to make room on my little 30" 2560x1600 screen when the mouse pointer moves over such a wire ;o)