LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dansch

Show radix on index display of arrays

It would be nice to have the option for showing the radix on the index display of an array. This would make it easier to look at an array when dealing with addresses in hex.

For example, if you have a large array representing the contents of a flash, and want to look at specific addresses, you need to convert the hex address into decimal to be able look at the corresponding value in the array. This can get tedious and time consuming (although I will admit it does force one to learn how to make the conversions a little more quickly in your head... as long as you are not making mistakes!)

index display.png >>>>> index display new.png

Daniel S.
National Instruments
8 Comments
SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

Ok this is freaky.

I came here just now to see if this idea was proposed and kudos it if it was. If not I was going to propose it. What's the first thing I see on this page before doing a search? Here is a totally different but related idea. Constants should indicate the radix. If you kudos this be sure to consider that one out.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Note that while you can't display the radix today, you can change it:

1. Customize the array control.
  2. Click the wrench in the control editor.
  3. Right click the index display and select "properties" (or whatever it is, I'm not in front of LV).
  4. In the formatting page, change the format to hex in the list on the left side.
  5. Apply the changes to the original control.

Awesome tst. I didn't know you could do that. Virtual kudos to you!

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

dansch
Active Participant

Thanks for pointing that out, tst. For now, while debugging, I have a subVI that I can quickly run whenever I want to change my index display to a new hex value. It is just a control formatted for hex that connects to the Index Values property node of the array (through a build array). However, it would be nice to be able to do this outside of run-time, and without having to create a custom control (though creating the control definitely seems to be the quickest/easiest way to do this presently).

Daniel S.
National Instruments
Silver_Shaper
Active Participant

Hi tst, Get my kudo's also ..

---
Silver_Shaper | CLD
RavensFan
Knight of NI

Then click the Kudo button!

cyro
btw. you can fully customize the "Index Control" of an array: 1. Place array on FP 2. Place eg "System Vertical Slider" on FP and cut to clipboard 3. Open Customize Array Panel 4. Switch to "Customize Mode" 5. Select the "Index Control" and paste 6. Apply changes and have fun You can now use "Propertie Nodes" on that control within some limits... This is possible on even more Control eg Graphs with their Plot Arrays where you can build your own cluster and replace the Plot Array Cluster
parthabe
Trusted Enthusiast

Note that while you can't display the radix today, you can change it:

1. Customize the array control.
  2. Click the wrench in the control editor.
  3. Right click the index display and select "properties" (or whatever it is, I'm not in front of LV).
  4. In the formatting page, change the format to hex in the list on the left side.
  5. Apply the changes to the original control.

Hi tst,

Seems this has stopped working now! I'm using LV 2016, and this does not work as described above! 

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )