LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Intaris

Show path and name of global in context help (and the datatype while we're at it)

When hovering over a global variable in LabVIEW, the IDE doesn't really give us much information at the moment.  What I would like is to have the context help show me the path and filename of the global in question within the context help.  This would help debugging a lot.

And while we're at it, at least show the datatype of the global in the context help.  At the moment, the only thing shown in context help is the name of the global item selected, but I already see that ont he BD. D'oh.

That's all.

6 Comments
SalacLV

Don't use global variables 🙂

Intaris
Proven Zealot

All the hate on Globals is sooo yesterday.  Globals have their place and when used appropriately they are a powerful tool.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

A reasonable request. I'll put my kudos on it.

> All the hate on Globals is sooo yesterday.  Globals have

> their place and when used appropriately they are a

> powerful tool.

Although Intaris is right, he is wrong to say so. 🙂

The rule is "don't use global variables". It is a very very very solid rule very much in need of promotion today as much as yesteryear. There are exceptions, but those exceptions are

a) so very rare and

b) so very technical

that in the hands of the vast majority of users, globals are the wrong choice. I say this after many years of helping users untangle their programs from the effects of globals. If you are one of the few who should be using them, you'll know because you've been using LV for 5+ years as a lead developer, you're already deeply familiar with all the alternatives to globals, you've recognized the exact niche in which they can be used without introducing additional problems and you definitely do not need to be told, "here's the acceptable use case for globals."

Intaris
Proven Zealot

One word (although technically it's an acronym)

: FPGA

Admittedly Globals have a different meaning there but still, within the IDE they're still globals.

Spoiler
PS wait what? Saying globals USED APPROPRIATELY was wrong of me? 
jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

It's something we're all supposed to discover for ourselves.  What you did was akin to forcing open the petals of a flower.

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Saying that one drink every once in a while is good for your heart is a terrible thing to tell a recovering alcoholic. And all programmers start off addicted to global data. Blessed are those who never hear of globals until they are mature enough to ask, "Why in the heck would I ever want one of *those*?"