LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MGiacomet

Shorten the Drop event "Available Data Names" element

The Drag and Drop event Drop has an element named "Available Data Names". This is a needleslly very long element name and wastes a lot of BD space (the whole vertical area can't be used for a case structure, for example).

Something like simply "Data" would be enough..

Untitled.png

6 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

<joke>That's not empty space. That's where you park the FPTerminal that you aren't using. It needs to be at least large enough to accomodate the FPTerm and its label. </joke>

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I have never been concerned by this particular output, but I symptahize with the issue.

A more general fix (which I would love for cluster bundle/unbindle) would be to be able to resize the surrounding box, the strings being abbreviated as they are in path controls (where there are two options for the truncation).

In your case, to something like "Ava...ames" or "Availabl", I suppose.

Manzolli
Active Participant

For this case and many others this is very welcome. To know what is really there (long description), a Tip Strip  would give the extra information we may need.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I'd go with "Data Names" and not just "Data", btw... there's a big difference between those two. But eliminating "Available" seems reasonable.

MGiacomet
AristosQueue wrote: "I'd go with "Data Names" and not just "Data", btw... there's a big difference between those two." Big difference??? What you get out of that element is what you put in the "Drag Starting?" event element named "Data"! And, it's not just "names" that is in there: It is a cluster that accepts "drag name" and "drag data" (already redundant but that's another topic...) So renaming to just "Data" stands. Yes, it is all the "data" associated with the drag/drop event; no further redundancy needed, i.e., don't propose to clutter it with "Drag" before the word "Data".
MGiacomet
Sorry, my bad... You actually have to call a function to get the "drag data". But, since we are on that topic, the "Data" element could return the whole array of cluster(s) populated in "Drag Starting?"