LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregFreeman

Set window appearance different for EXE or Dev Environment

Functionality already available in LabVIEW. See comments for details on how.

I thought at one point I saw an idea similar to this but I can't find it. I would like to be able to set window appearances different for the development environment versus when running as an exe. I get tired of setting all my windows to dialogs, then I realize I overlooked something which freezes my program, but I can't abort because there is no way to get out of the modal dialog I have opened. I then have to exit LabVIEW. Then I have to go change that window to non-modal, add the menu bar, etc while I debug, then remember to change it back before building the exe again.

I propose being able to have a run-time and development environment window appearance options independent of each other to avoid scenarios like this.

6 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

You can already do this in the application builder - each VI can have its own different settings in the Source Files Settings page and you should also be able to apply this hierarchically. You can play with each setting separately and keep it or override it.

I do think that this is not as convenient as it should be, but I don't have a practical idea for how to improve this at the moment.

...or you can do it programatically (in your code) checking if you are running in the development environment or in the runtime engine and set the FP behavior accordingly.

vipm.io | jki.net

JÞB
Knight of NI

And of course you can develope a development tool like this one I place wherevver it seams useful-  Not a bad piece of start-up code for my GUIs and the two second delay is there to keep me mindful (just a little pain. thank you no need to abort)Close Modals.png

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
G-Money
NI Employee (retired)

for(imstuck),

Does everyone's comments above satisfy your original idea? If so then I will Decline this idea as Already Implemented in LabVIEW. Thanks!

GregFreeman
Trusted Enthusiast
Yup I'm sure these will do what I need
G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined
Functionality already available in LabVIEW. See comments for details on how.